Southeast Asia forum

6 Months - Thailand, Cambodja, Laos, Burma, Malaysia, Indonesia

• Chaverbe

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2013

Hi all,

I've been reading around travelfish for a while now and decide to create a forum entry for my upcoming travel.

My girlfriend and myself have been saving up the past year to go on a 6 month backpacking adventure through south east Asia.
    We'll be leaving on the 23th of October, returning the 8th of May to Belgium.

Planned tour: Southern Thailand, Cambodja, Laos, Northern Thailand, Burma, Malaysia, Indonesia

We came up with this idea last year, when we were in Vietnam. (That's also the reason why Vietnam is not in the list)

I can elaborate a bit more if someone is interested, but at least I got a forum entry now, so if you have some goods tips & tricks feel free to share.

I'll try to share some of our experiences as well while we are on the road.

#1 Posted: 25/9/2013 - 16:59

• Advertisement

• Chaverbe

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2013

So we started.

Arrived last Thursday in Bangkok, lovely moment to smell Asia again. It's the first thing that hits you when coming out of the airport.

Visa on arrival was one of the things we were a bit worried about, because we have a retour ticket that says we're only returning in 6 months. In the meanwhile I've learned that it's nothing to worry about, in Thailand they don't check, so if you're gonna have bad luck it's when checking in at the origin airport.

We used the past days to discover Bangkok a bit. Did the necessary touristic sights: Wat Aruna, Wat Pho, MBK, Chinatown and some others things. What I enjoyed the most was getting around using the different forms of public transport. Didn't take no bus or tuk tuk, but the river transports, both khlong as express boats are nice.

Yesterday (Saturday) the neighborhood where we're staying, BangLamphu, turned into a mass tourism scenery which isn't really what I like. Luckily we're staying in a very nice place called Lamphu House. Rooms are clean, friendly service and you barely hear anything about what's happening in BangLamphu.

Now looking forward to few days on Ko Samet and even more to heading north, we should be hitting Chiang Mai somewhere next weekend after a stop in ayuthaya and lopburi.

Again, if you think we're missing something, or if you have tips or hints on extra stops, let me know.

#2 Posted: 27/10/2013 - 03:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
7 weeks through Burma, malaysia, thailand, laos, indonesia and the philippines, is it doable?? ... By ciera89 on 17 Jul 2013 30 3554 26 Jul 2013
2.5 months Thailand/ Malaysia / Indonesia ... By Andy1982 on 25 Jan 2010 0 3254 25 Jan 2010
4 months - Burma, Malaysia, Vietnam and Thailand ... By think87 on 2 Aug 2011 2 2749 2 Aug 2011
2013 - 6 months in Thailand and neighbouring countries ( malaysia, indonesia, bali ) perhaps? ... By subliminal29 on 15 Oct 2011 9 2244 27 Apr 2013
itinerary feedback needed-Burma, Indonesia, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia (and more!) ... By fernwood on 5 Sep 2013 4 1332 7 Sep 2013
2 months in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam AND Indonesia ... By mar571 on 9 Nov 2010 15 9585 25 Nov 2010
Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia in 3 months? help! ... By chaplins1980 on 2 Aug 2012 1 1503 2 Aug 2012
9 months teaching - Indonesia or Malaysia? ... By pete3377 on 26 Jul 2011 1 2266 1 Aug 2011
Teaching for 9 months - Malaysia or Indonesia? ... By pete3377 on 26 Jul 2011 9 4960 3 Jan 2012
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia Sept 2012 ... By RC2012 on 5 Apr 2012 4 6735 6 Apr 2012