Southeast Asia forum

SE Asia - 3~4 months ~ Advice

• berraseski

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2013

Hi all,

I have been reading through this forum for a week or two now using the search function alot! I have read some great posts and have gathered some excellent travel advice to prepare me!

The hard task now is piecing all this together! I know you're most likely saying another budget/itinerary post not again but i have used the search function and have scapled through various topics here and else where!

MY trip!

The plan so far is to travel SE Asia over 3 to 4 months - Leaning more towards the 4 months as we don't want to make the mistake of rushing things.

Budget - $10,000 AUS - Im still confused as to whether this will be enough as myself and my mate are fairly big party animals.
    - $10,000 each, excluding Flights.

Thoughts?

I have have a basic itinerary in mind but i guess things are always flexible!

Bangkok
    Surat Thani /Islands
    Koh Samui
    Koh Phangan
    Krabi
    Koh Phi Phi
    Koh Lanta
    Bangkok
    Siem Reap
    Lopburi
    Sukhotthai
    Chiang Mai
    Chiang Rai
    Pai
    Vientiane
    Vang Vieng
    Ha Tien
    Can Tho
    Ho Chi Minh
    Vung Tau
    Mui Ne
    Da Lat
    Nha Trang
    Hoi An
    Hue
    Ha Noi
    Halong City
    Lao Cai
    Sapa
    Mandalay
    Bagan
    Inle Lake
    Yangon
    Bangkok

I'm unsure on what time frames i should me having in each place so some advice would be great... As i said earlier this isn't set in stone so if we enjoy one place more then another we will compensate...

Some advice would be great on what plans i have so far...

Have i crammed to much in or?
    Is the budget do-able? Not healthy enough?

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone and i'm looking forward to making lots of new friends along the way! :D

#1 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 11:25

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

You need at least a month in Thailand for that itinerary maybe 5 or 6 weeks if you plan on spending a lot of time partying on islands. If you go to Laos don't miss Luang Prabang (maybe forgot to put it on list), 1 week to 10 days should be good enough for a simple trip to Laos like that. Your Vietnam itinerary will need 5-6 weeks as well. I know little of Burma but guessing 10-14 days.

Overall probably need closer to the 4 months to see all these places. Make sure you do a little research on the path you wan to take to see these things. For example it makes a lot more sense to go Chiang Mai - Pai - Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai - Chiang Khong/Huay Xai - Luang Prabang and it will be cheaper as well.

10000 AUD is ~ 9300 USD. Divide that by 4 months and you get $78 per day which should be lots even if you plan on partying almost every day. For example I am a budget traveller and I did Thailand-Laos-Cambodia-Vietnam in just under 4 months and only spent $6200 for everything including flights to and from Canada, visas, health insurance etc.

#2 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 10:02

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

34 destinations includ bkk a few times. That should take you about 6 months.

I'd cut it back to 15-20 places.

It's more fun to have 5-8 nights in places.

$2,000 a month is enough.

#3 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 12:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
HELP! Need advice on discovering SE Asia in 4/5 Months. :) ... By snookipaige on 4 Jun 2013 10 1809 5 Aug 2013
Advice for 3 months backpacking around SE Asia ... By Manckiwi on 30 Jun 2012 3 2620 1 Jul 2012
3 Months South East Asia. ADVICE PLEASE :) ... By STEEBEE84 on 1 Aug 2014 12 649 13 Aug 2014
First time solo traveler off to SE Asia for 3 months next month, would appreciate some advice. ... By NFT_Terrorist on 13 May 2014 12 1092 16 May 2014