Southeast Asia forum

First-time post after reading many useful topics here! Itinerary review?

• Waihekedrea-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2013

Hello all,

I am in the final stages of planning my first trip to SE Asia this December/January (with husband). We have travelled before but are very excited to be seeing Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia on this 4 week trip.

Given the limited time, we have concentrated on the things we would most like to see (personally more into temples, countryside, and quiet beaches than cities and nightlife). Definitely not enough time, esp. in Bangkok but that's such a useful hub we'll be sure to be there again.

Your topics have been very useful, and I'd love to hear some seasoned thoughts about the itinerary, if you'd oblige. Normally I wouldn't bother too much but I have to adapt to time-constricted holidays from work! Boo. Plus would like to book some internal flights for a good price early.

In summary, we have 31 days, 13 of which are spent on the move. Hitting Bangkok, Sukhothai , Ko Phra Thong , Khao Sok NP, Siem Reap , Phnom Penh , Luang Prabang , and Nong Khiaw.

1) Arrive Bangkok
    2) Bangkok
    3) Bus to Sukhothai
    4) Sukhothai
    5) Bus back to Bangkok, night bus to Khuraburi
    6) Boat to Ko Phra Thong
    7) Ko Phra Thong
    8) Ko Phra Thong
    9) Ko Phra Thong
    10) Ko Phra Thong
    11) Boat/bus to Khao Sok NP
    12) Khao Sok NP
    13) Khao Sok NP
    14) Bus to Surat Thani, night train to Bangkok
    15) Bus to Siem Reap
    16) Angkor Wat
    17) Angkor Wat
    18) Bus to Phnom Penh
    19) Phnom Penh
    20) Phnom Penh
    21) Fly to Luang Prabang
    22) Luang Prabang
    23) Luang Prabang
    24) Luang Prabang
    25) Bus to Nong Khiaw
    26) Nong Khiaw
    27) Nong Khiaw
    28) Bus back to Luang Prabang
    29) Fly to Bangkok
    30) Bangkok
    31) Fly home

Planning to get a 60 day single-entry Thai tourist visa in advance (we're Brits but can't get visa exemption on entry as we have no flight proof out of Thailand until after 30 days) - when we re-enter after Luang Prabang, we'll get the tourist exemption then with our homeward ticket as proof - sound good, or would anyone suggest getting the double entry to be sure?

Merci beau.
    E

#1 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 05:24

• Advertisement

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

very rushed.

leave beach time till end and allow some flexibility in your itinerary

be careful day 14/15 you will need to catch a train due in Bangkok very early if you are to make SR on day 15 remember the train will be between 1 and 2 hours late.

perhaps lose a day in LP

#2 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 06:06

• Waihekedrea-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2013

Thank you amnicoll. Good point about the train probably being delayed.

I am hoping to get a train that gets in for 5am, and the govt bus to SR leaves at 9am, though this would be tight if there were any delays. Instead I think we'll get an afternoon flight from Bangkok on Day 15 to get us into either SR or PP.

#3 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 10:16

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"14) Bus to Surat Thani, night train to Bangkok
    15) Bus to Siem Reap"

That's asking for pain. Just fly. You'll regret trying to train/bus that distance. They are often late and very slow.

#4 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 11:56

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"Planning to get a 60 day single-entry Thai tourist visa in advance (we're Brits but can't get visa exemption on entry as we have no flight proof out of Thailand until after 30 days)"

Buy a ticket to Cambodia. Saves the need for a visa and is much more sensible.

#5 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 11:57

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi there,
    You won't need to prove that you're flying out of Thailand within the 30 days to get the 30 days visa exemption. Thai officials don't check at arrival, as they're so used to travelers moving on overland. The only issue that ever comes up is with flights from your home country - very occasionally the airline asks to see your proof. It doesn't happen very often (thousands of travelers do it every year without any problems) but a tiny percentage do have problems so it's up to you to decide what your personal comfort-level is with respect to that small risk.

You can:
    1) Get a visa in advance
    2) Take Leonard's advice and book an internal flight to Siem Reap
    3) Rock up to the airport, and in the unlikely event that the check in clerk gives you a hard time, whip out your phone and buy a cheap internal flight while standing at the check-in desk.

Frankly I hate long bus journeys so I'd go for option 2 (kills 2 birds with one stone).

Have a wonderful time, whatever you decide.

#6 Posted: 28/9/2013 - 03:50

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Beware of the above advise. More and more airlines are starting to check this and will insist on an outward ticket check your airline policy first

#7 Posted: 28/9/2013 - 04:33

• Waihekedrea-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2013

Thank you so much for all your advice. I have now booked a flight from BK to Cambodia on Day 15 avoiding the long bus ride and need for a visa. I honestly have no idea why this stuff doesn't occur to me!

#8 Posted: 28/9/2013 - 05:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.