Southeast Asia forum

Vino!

• bmovieneil

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2013

Hi all - i was just wondering if anyone had experience of what the wine situation is in SE Asian countries?
    I will quite happily sup away at any old beverage but my wife does enjoy a glass of vino so I was wondering how widely available it is, whether it is any good and if it is majorly costly to drink? We travelled around India a few years ago and lets just say we didn't find it to be the greatest wine country in the world...

#1 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 07:04

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Tax on wine in Thailand is high (400%) so a decent bottle can run $20-40 or more and in restaurants about $3-5/glass. There are good wine shops in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, etc. so availability isn't a big problem in those areas. But Thais generally don't know jack about wine so you're kind on your own to pick the right stuff. Have a look here for examples of price and selection. http://www.wineconnection.co.th

In Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam there is the benefit of being former French colonies so there is more of an appreciation of it, and there's some decent quality and prices better than in Thailand. Plenty of wine shops in Vientiane and Luang Prabang for example, and many of the western-style restaurants stock good vintages.

#2 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 08:52

• bmovieneil

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2013

thank you for the reply - much appreciated. I think i may have to start training her to drink beer :)

#3 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 09:55

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

SEA is beer country! The available local wines are crude at best. Yes, you can get premium wines in the large cities, but you'll pay for the privilege.

#4 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 12:53

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Red wine is better in cold climates. Thailand is very humid even at night.

#5 Posted: 28/9/2013 - 00:34

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

For the Philippines.

There is a good selection of wine at reasonable prices in Metro-Manila. I have ordered from here

http://www.sommelierselection.info/

They bring in lesser-known but excellent wines from France. Brumms is the source for German wines. Italian wines..I'm not that sure. maybe Galileo Enoteca? Than for Spanish wines it would be Barcino.

Lots of Chilean wine and Australian/NZ wine in the department stores and supermarkets.

The other big cities like Cebu should have decent offerings.

#6 Posted: 29/9/2013 - 01:46

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

For the Philippines.

There is a good selection of wine at reasonable prices in Metro-Manila. I have ordered from here

http://www.sommelierselection.info/

They bring in lesser-known but excellent wines from France. Brumms is the source for German wines. Italian wines..I'm not that sure. maybe Galileo Enoteca? Than for Spanish wines it would be Barcino.

Lots of Chilean wine and Australian/NZ wine in the department stores and supermarkets.

The other big cities like Cebu should have decent offerings.

#7 Posted: 29/9/2013 - 01:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.