Southeast Asia forum

Laos Cambodia and Thailand in 30 Days

• wormann

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2013

My husband and I are starting to plan a one month or so trip of Laos, Cambodia and Thailand. I think we would like to end our trip in Thailand relaxing on a nice beach before we have a 20+ plane ride back to the states. I am trying to decide on where to fly into, Laos or Cambodia and how to map out a rough outline of our route. I am all over the place confused at the moment of how to approach this so any suggestions or rough itineraries people could suggest would be so helpful. My though was to start North in Laos and work down but still completely unsure. Any suggestions on ways to start? Also any great apps out there people are using to plan or map their future trips?
    Also I see a lot of people saying that this might not be enough time? We just did 40 days in India and did the North and the South and while we did move a lot it was awesome to see so much. However we could take overnight trains there to cut down on a lot of long distance travel and that is not the case in SEA so I can understand why maybe all three countries would be better spent with more time??
    Any advice is welcomed
    Thanks

#1 Posted: 4/10/2013 - 12:10

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Depends what you want to see and do. Read this site.

#2 Posted: 4/10/2013 - 12:42

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

It's doable in a month but you will be rushing if you want to see more than 5 or 6 locations. If you can afford it, flying is the best way to reduce travel times. Do you have any specific locations in mind that you would like to see? I imagine Luang Prabang, Vientiane , Siem Reap , Phnom Penh , Bangkok and then one Thai island are on the itinerary? It is possible to fly between all of these locations (and Siem Reap to Phnom Penh is only 6-7 hours by bus). Alternatively, you are looking at 12 - 14 hour bus rides between destinations in Lao, and night trains in Thailand.

You could think about flying to Vientiane from Bangkok, bus from Vientiane to Luang Prabang, fly from LP to Siem Reap (Lao airlines do a direct flight), bus from SR to PP, fly or bus from PP to Bangkok, then fly or train south to the islands.

If you reduce your stay in, say, Vientiane and Phnom Penh to 2 days each, while staying 4 - 5 days in the other spots, then you will probably be able to squeeze in another destination such as Chiang Mai or Krabi. It all depends on what your interests are really, but these are some of the 'top' destinations in the 3 countries.

#3 Posted: 4/10/2013 - 13:22

• wormann

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2013

JaiYen88 Thanks for the advice. I have just begun to sift through information on this site and read up on similar posts from others. For us coming from the states it will cost a lot for us to get over there so we want to see as much as possible of course but without overdoing it too much. We aren't planning this trip just to take in a beautiful beaches but that doesn't mean we need to be on the go every day either. I like the advice of looking into domestic flights to cut down on travel time if they are affordable which many on this site are saying so that is good to know! I am reading up on other posts similar to this to see suggested itineraries to get a better feel of what is doable. We have plenty of time to plan so I was just seeing what people thought and how they link these different countries together. We are not adverse to living out of a suitcase for most of the time and then ending somewhere real nice and living it up and relaxing there for a while before we head back home. We like a happy medium =-)

#4 Posted: 4/10/2013 - 15:00

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

What time of the year is your trip? The weather will govern a lot of useful advice...

#5 Posted: 4/10/2013 - 18:45

• wormann

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2013

We are both teachers ( art and music) so we have to travel in July and Aug... while not the most ideal still doable from what I know???

#6 Posted: 4/10/2013 - 21:34

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Here is a recent similar thread in which I give some ideas.

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/indochina/23165_round-trip-thailand--laos-and-cambodia

#7 Posted: 4/10/2013 - 22:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand/Laos/Cambodia 25 days HELP ... By abbyroad on 8 Jan 2013 7 1577 13 Jan 2013
Best route Thailand, Laos, Cambodia 65 days ... By marianwarren on 12 Mar 2006 6 2773 13 Mar 2006
Thailand - Burma - Cambodia - Laos possible in 4 days? ... By adammcintyre on 18 Feb 2014 8 413 19 Feb 2014
30 days for Thailand, Laos, Vientnam, Cambodia... Too much? ... By starrchild on 25 Aug 2009 21 5956 28 Aug 2009
10 days - Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam? ... By LordGordo on 13 Apr 2010 11 5009 14 Apr 2010
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia in 45 days? ... By tandbjo on 9 May 2013 12 1865 5 Jun 2013
Thailand - Laos - Vietnam - cambodia in 30 days? ... By WelshGem on 20 Mar 2011 5 4133 20 Mar 2011
Budget and Itinerary for 65 days in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia ... By Floppy on 2 Oct 2012 0 1807 2 Oct 2012