Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia/Malaysia and Indonesia in 8 weeks

• jbrinkey

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Location Netherlands
    Places visited:
    At least 15

Hi guys,

Me and my buddy are planning to go to South East Asia for 8 weeks around June/July/August.

Countries/cities/islands we would like to see:
    -Thailand (Bangkok, Phi Phi Islands, Koh Phangan)
    -Cambodia ( Siem Reap , Phnom Penh )
    -Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City)
    -Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur, Perhentian Island)
    -Indonesia (Jakarta,Bali/Lombok)

Is this realistic in 8 weeks?
    Our plan is to fly into Bangkok. From Bangkok to Siem Reap by bus/train. Siem Reap to Phnom Penh bus/train.
    Phnom Penh>Ho Chi Minh City by bus/train.
    Ho Chi Minh City>Kuala Lumpur by plane. Kuala Lumpur>Kota Bahru by 'jungle train'.
    Back to KL, then from KL to Singapore by bus/train. Singapore>Jakarta by plane.
    Travel through Java by train to Bali/Lombok. Bali/Lombok back to Bangkok by plane.

We haven't yet made a time schedule.
    We might be too optimistic, correct me if we want to see way more than realistic.

Your recommendations are very welcome!

Thanks,

Jeroen

#1 Posted: 13/10/2013 - 07:40

• Advertisement

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

You are trying to do far too much in the time and stick to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam and explore more of those countries. You are missing so much

#2 Posted: 14/10/2013 - 05:15

• jbrinkey

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Location Netherlands
    Places visited:
    At least 15

Thank you very taking your time, appreciate it!

#3 Posted: 14/10/2013 - 06:13

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Since you don't seem to want to see or travel too much in each place, you can definitely do what you're planning on in 8 weeks. But, as mentioned above, it is a lot of ground to cover. You'd just be skimming the surface of each spot.

Do you really not want to see anything in Vietnam besides HCMC? That's a long way to go, as well as a fairly substantial time and financial investment, for just one destination.

I'd also add Georgetown to your itinerary, and would consider dropping Jakarta to spend more time on Bali and Lombok.

How do you plan to fit the Thai islands into your schedule? If you're going to be on Phi Phi and/or Pha-ngan, you could continue south to Malaysia by train or bus or ferry?

#4 Posted: 14/10/2013 - 08:32

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

Tilapia I agree it could be done but I think these guys need to go away and do a bit more homework and work out just what they want to see and do. They may get lots of stamps in their passports but they are going to see only tiny parts of the countries.

As I said above stick to the three northern countries or of course work their way south through Thailand, Malasia and on to Indonesia

#5 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 05:34

• jbrinkey

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Location Netherlands
    Places visited:
    At least 15

Hi guys,

Thank you very much again.

I think you are right. We need to make a decision which part we want to see. I think we are going for Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. We should discover Vietnam and Cambodia maybe another time. I have lived in Malaysia so that's why I really want to go back there.
    I am not really familiar with Indonesia and Thailand. Do you guys have any recommendations for those countries?

Thanks again

#6 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 07:38

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Read the website.

#7 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 10:08

• jbrinkey

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Location Netherlands
    Places visited:
    At least 15

Hi Leonard Cohen,

I know there's a lot of information over here. But I am talking about personal experiences. I guess there's this forum all about, isn't it?

Cheers

#8 Posted: 16/10/2013 - 03:10

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

There is so much to see and do so I am very sympathetic to what LC says - your best help will come from more specifc questions.

The jungle railway is a great experience but you might consider getting off en- route and explore and either bus/train onwards (if going to KL)

You could enter Sumatra via Penang see the orangutans, lake toba and work your way down to Java there is just too much

#9 Posted: 16/10/2013 - 04:49

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

I've posted my personal experiences a 100 times over. It's gets boring being asked to repeat it each time a new person arrives. A simple search of the forum will reveal lots of ideas.

#10 Posted: 16/10/2013 - 09:34

• Advertisement

• jbrinkey

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Location Netherlands
    Places visited:
    At least 15

Alright cheers!

#11 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 02:41

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

jbrinkey,

Here's some links that may be of use when you're putting some ideas together.

On Indonesia, the Java train is a good one - personally I wouldn't give Jakarta much time but Yogyakarta defiunetely worth a few days. Here's a few posts of use for this leg:
    One week in Java - I'd give it two weeks tho.
    Bromo the back way - a must see if you're traversing Java.

For Bali, ahhhhh I live here and there is a bucketload of stuff on the site. Best spot to start is an outline of what you can cover in how long:
    A week in Bali - as with I'd give it at least two weeks.

If you want to go to Lombok, some aim to climb Rinjani. I've not done it, but as you can read here, it is brutal...

As for Malaysia, yes Jungle Railway up to Taman Negara is a good one - though it is actually far faster to reach by bus from KL. Penang for food, Langkawi for beaches .... the list goes on.

Few more pointers from you and can give perhaps some more useful tips.

Cheers

#12 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 02:51

• jbrinkey

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Location Netherlands
    Places visited:
    At least 15

Thank you so much somtam for your usefull recommendations.

I guess this is a useful website for using the train through Java: http://www.seat61.com/Indonesia.htm#.Ul_QcC3CTmI
    I'll definitely read more about Java on this website.
    We will definitely take time to explore Bali, thank you for your suggestions. Besides Bali we would like to visit Gili Trawangan.

I meant the jungle train from KL to Kota Bahru, to East coast Malaysia. By train because we heard this is a really great experience. From there we would like to visit Perhentian Islands. I have been to Langkawi and Penang . Penang is defintely great for food but I don't think it's that great. I prefer East coast because of the real beauty of the islands.

For Thailand we would like to visit Koh Phi Phi. I don't know whether this is too touristic. Maybe from there hopping to different islands. And we would really like to experience a full moon party as we are young and wild. I read Koh Phangan is the hotspot for the full moon party. I only doubt doing this because Koh Phi Phi is West coast, so we need to move from West to East for Koh Phangan.
    Besides the islands we would like to get some 'real' Thai experience if there's time to do so. I mean to see how the Thai really live, a bit more non-touristic. A little tour by quad bike or cross bike would be really great.

Cheers

#13 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 07:16

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The problem with the Jungle Train is if you get it from KL to Kota Bharu much of the trip is at night.

Ko Phi Phi in June July August will be in the middle of its wet season so the weather won't be so hot -- I'd be inclined to stay on the east coast -- Ko Pha Ngan is great that time of year.

After Ko Pha Ngan, head north along the mainland - towns like Ban Krut, Prachuap Khiri Khan and Phetburi are all very local, good spots.

Cheers

#14 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 20:39

• jbrinkey

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Location Netherlands
    Places visited:
    At least 15

Thank you again somtam, really useful recommendations. I will do some more research.

Cheers

#15 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 04:12

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

There is no need to travel over the whole route of the jungle railway from Kota Bharu to KL just get on or off at Kuala Lipis and bus to or from KL or wherever and this is done during daylight. This is not the easiest timetable in the world but I can assure you this is more than suffiecient to see the jungle railway

http://www.ktmb.com.my/images/pdf/Jadual%20Intercity%20Effective%2023%20May%2020132.pdf

#16 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 05:22

• jbrinkey

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Location Netherlands
    Places visited:
    At least 15

Thanks amnicoll, I will give a look at the information you provided.

Cheers

#17 Posted: 21/10/2013 - 02:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia Sept 2012 ... By RC2012 on 5 Apr 2012 4 6626 6 Apr 2012
Cambodia & Vietnam & Laos & North Thailand and Malaysia & Indonesia (Sumatra and Java) ... By schwev on 18 Nov 2013 0 484 18 Nov 2013
6-8 weeks in South East Asia - Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand ... By mjbeavis on 13 Sep 2010 7 7420 25 Mar 2013
7 weeks through Burma, malaysia, thailand, laos, indonesia and the philippines, is it doable?? ... By ciera89 on 17 Jul 2013 30 3427 26 Jul 2013
Cambodia in Oct, Vietnam in December and Malaysia/Indonesia in March, April and May ... By rosiemuddle on 5 Aug 2010 4 2148 17 Aug 2010
23/F Cambodia-Thailand-Malaysia-Indonesia June-Sept 2012, looking for female travel buddy ... By MLuna on 23 Feb 2012 8 2467 31 Jul 2012
2 weeks in Thailand, Malaysia and Cambodia? ... By Annanas28 on 10 Oct 2011 16 3811 11 Oct 2011
3 weeks in Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos or Malaysia ... By charliekbrooks on 22 Sep 2008 2 4450 22 Sep 2008
Cost of 7 weeks in SEA. Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia ... By joshuacorn on 24 Jun 2010 1 3950 27 Jun 2013
Help Itinerary 4 weeks Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Malaysia ... By guybrush on 25 Jan 2012 7 3796 23 Feb 2012