Southeast Asia forum

Eating street food in South Asia.

• Agee

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2013

Hi,

What about food? Is it safe to eat street food in SouthAsia (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam)? I'm asking in particular about allthose insects, spiders, snakes etc...after all most of them are friedwith guts eggs and excrement... We've heard that eating fishes in Bangkokis not such a good idea as some of them are caught in river channels andcan have various bacteria and parasites? We have following vaccines:HepatitisA and B, Typhoid fever, Polio, Tetanus
    What about fresh fruits? Is there anythingthat should be avoided by person from Europe?

Thanks for help!
    Agee.

#1 Posted: 24/10/2013 - 10:30

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

You probably shouldn't eat anything if you want to live a boring life and not have to worry about possibly getting sick.

Or you can live a little and know there is a very small chance that you may get sick and that even if you do it will likely be minor and pass within a day or two.

Imo and as Andrew Zimmern says, if it looks good eat it.

#2 Posted: 24/10/2013 - 11:14

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Eating street food in SE Asia doesn't have to equate to consuming spiders, snakes and the like. I have eaten a lot of street food in Asia and never once did I (knowingly) eat any of those items.

From my experience, street food will typically consist of chicken skewers, fresh spring rolls, corn on the cob, noodles, meat and salad sandwiches and many more types of things. I guess street food is what you make it, a lot of people would never go near it - I personally thought it was the best way to eat over there - cheap, tasty and prepared by people who seemed in the know. Nor is there any reason to suspect that the food quality will be compromised, it is often quite the contrary as it is freshly prepared right in front of you so no funny business 'out back' and a high turnover of customers should further ensure freshness.

I reckon you should only go to places that are busy and seem to be at least partially frequented by locals. Running water is probably also a good thing.

#3 Posted: 24/10/2013 - 11:14

• Agee

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2013

The thing is, that I really want to try a spider/insects.

What's more, I'm wondering if any of you tried fruits and didn't end with diarrhea. If answer is yes, that's mean I'm safe.

#4 Posted: 24/10/2013 - 12:46

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 34

Well, I never tried spiders but I figure it can't be too different from soft-shell crabs.

You're doctor will probably drill into you the "don't eat any fruit you haven't peeled yourself" mantra, but for me? That rule went out the window the second I got on the plane. I ate fruit all over the place and never got sick.

Sure, you could be unlucky.... but you hopefully won't.

#5 Posted: 24/10/2013 - 12:54

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Seriously man... The chances of getting sick from eating a fruit anywhere in the world is like 1 in a million... Doesn't matter if you are in Thailand etc. If anything a lot of their fruit is healthier because they use less pesticides etc on them.

Just relax, stop worrying and go have fun. If you really want to be on the safe side take some travellers diarrhoea pills with you just in case.

#6 Posted: 24/10/2013 - 18:30

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 34

Sorry, that should be "your doctor" in my post above - so embarrassed!

#7 Posted: 25/10/2013 - 00:47

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Just use a little common sense - would you eat from a dirty establishment at home? One cannot generalize about this subject. I have seen cleaner street stalls than some fancy/expensive restaurants, and you're not really experiencing Asia unless you try different things. If your attitude about Asia is just about the creepy crawlies, maybe you should stick to plane-jane and sterile environments instead?

#8 Posted: 25/10/2013 - 11:09

• Agee

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2013

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your ideas! We've met some problems in Egypt, especially with water fruits (watermelon, melon) that's why I'm asking for details.

Cheers,
    Agee.

#9 Posted: 25/10/2013 - 14:33

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

I have eat street food all over SE Asia and still do. Generally it is safe (and indeed safer than eating western food) but there is always the chance you may be unlucky. Avoid things like oysters and mussels (especially inland) and raw meat but generally anything that is being cooked in front of you should be OK.

have eaten dog, snakes and spiders many times knowingly with no ill effects but often I have no idea what I am eating at the time but so what

#10 Posted: 26/10/2013 - 05:54

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
best indian food and 100 % halal food in phnom pehn* The kabab shop* street no. 104 ... By manbir on 3 Sep 2009 0 3804 3 Sep 2009
Eating Food Washed in Water ... By crafte on 12 Jan 2013 6 1846 12 Jan 2013
Khao San street food ... By kerouac2 on 20 Sep 2009 10 2185 22 Sep 2009
Ha Noi: Street food has something extra ... CHOLERA ... By CatBa on 12 Mar 2008 11 5178 1 Jan 2012
Headied to HCMC on the 5h. Meet for drink or street food? ... By TerroirTravel on 1 Feb 2014 5 533 6 Feb 2014
Cambodia - prices of street food in Siem Reap ... By IvanaCZ on 24 Apr 2013 40 4807 4 May 2013
Pizza, baked on a pickup truck! Thai-Street food become international! ... By okibkk on 13 Apr 2012 1 1153 13 Apr 2012