Southeast Asia forum

Pre book accommodation or not?

• jessica_cha-
    nt

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2012

In January I will be travelling south east asia in a group of 5 people. We start in Bangkok. Will it be relatively easy to find accommodation as a group or is it worth trying to pre-book something before we leave? Over 4-5 months we will eventually travel through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia and Indonesia so obviously we won't be pre booking most of the trip, but are there any places which may be more difficult to find accommodation together?
    Thank you in advance,
    Jess

#1 Posted: 25/10/2013 - 05:00

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Jessica,

It may be worth booking your first couple of nights in Bangkok just to give you a bit of time to settle in etc, after that is really depends on where you are going and when you'll be there.

Some places, it is a good idea, for example perhaps Ko Lipe or definitely Ko Phi Phi over Xmas and New Years, but other places there is no need.

Here is a story that goes into a bit more depth on the pros and cons of booking online in Southeast Asia.

More questions? Ask away.

#2 Posted: 25/10/2013 - 07:04

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

As above it should not be a problem but good advise to book somewhere when you arrive.

The flexibilty is much more valueable, you might not like the place when you arrive, the location may not be ideal, there may be a much nicer cheaper alternative and so on.

So what if for one night you have to stay in different hotels but apart from holidays and festivals that is unlikely

#3 Posted: 26/10/2013 - 05:58

• takezo

Joined Travelfish
    30th September, 2013

I was just wondering whether you can book accommodation, say, for a few nights and in case you find something nicer, cheaper etc. can simply check out without having to pay a portion of the remaining days.

Thanks

#4 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 04:31

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@takezo It depends who you book through.

Some online travel agents - eg Agoda Might take 100% upfront - so if you walk away you lose it.

Others eg Hostel world/booking.com ask for a deposit (which is actually their commission) of anywhere from 10-30% again if you walk away you lose that.

Done places will take a booking without a deposit do you can just walk away - but obviously you're leaving them in the lurch.

Hope that helps

#5 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 05:17

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Booking.com is the best - no money upfront. Their prices are as good as any other site as well.

Definately book the first 3 nights. Good hotels are cheaper on the net and Jan is peak season so just turning up could be a problem. Walk in rates are expensive for good hotels.

Online I've paid 1400 baht for a room in a 4 star hotel and walk in they wanted 3300 baht LOL. When I extended my stay I just walked 80m to an internet cafe to get the cheaper price. Crazy really.

#6 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 08:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.