Southeast Asia forum

Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam...how do I get about?

• kelpeta

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2007

Hi
    I'm planning a 4 week trip across Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam but need some advice about how best to get from place to place (without having to fly everywhere but without wasting too much travel time!!)
    The places we want to see are:

Bangkok - Chiang Mai (train?)
    Chaing Mai - Luang Prabang
    Luang Prabang - Vang Vieng (bus / taxi)
    Vang Vieng - Siem Reap
    Siem reap - Battambang (bus / taxi)
    Battambang - Phnom Penh (bus / taxi)
    Phnom Penh - Saigon
    Saigon - Hue
    Hue - Hanoi (bus / train)
    Hanoi - Ha long Bay (train)
    Ha long Bay - Hanoi (train)
    Hanoi - Bangkok (flight)

Any advice about travel options between these places (especially from vang Vieng to Siem Reap and the long distances between certain places) or suggestions on changing the route to make it easier to get about would be great!
    Thanks!

#1 Posted: 13/8/2007 - 01:52

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Kelpeta,

Have you looked at our suggested itinerary section? That has loads of info on trip plans and suggested methods of transportation.

Vang Vieng to Siem Reap, I would suggest bus to Vientaine then fly to SR.

#2 Posted: 13/8/2007 - 06:50

• nackia

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2008

Hi,

Im looking at doing a very similar trip - did you get any iedas on how you were travelling about and times - i seem to be struggling??

#3 Posted: 15/2/2008 - 18:51

• nackia

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2008

Hi,

Im looking at doing a very similar trip - did you get any iedas on how you were travelling about and times - i seem to be struggling??

#4 Posted: 15/2/2008 - 18:51

• shelld

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2007

Hi Kelpeta

We're also doing a very similar trip in early March. We're flying from Bangkok to Chiang Rai ($40aud) staying overnight in Chiang Khong & then the slow boat to LP & onto Vang Vieng. Flying Vietiane to Pakse, bus to 4000 islands and then back to Pakse to fly to Siem Reap. Over land to PP, thru the Mekong to Saigon & then train up to Hanoi. We've only got 3 weeks so thats why we've opted to fly instead busing it. Planning on going back next year to see the sites we missed!!

#5 Posted: 16/2/2008 - 08:19

• Vivi

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2008

Hey guys, how r everyone?

I'm doing the same trip in may.. for 4 weeks as well... but i'm going by myself... I would like to know if anyone will be in Asia around 05 may until 05 june...

Cheers,

Vivi

#6 Posted: 9/3/2008 - 10:11

• rakhee2108

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2007
    Total reviews: 6

Siem reap - Battambang - bus takes 3/4hrs, $5.

Battambang - Phnom Penh - bus takes 3/4 hrs, $5

Phnom Penh - Saigon - bus takes 12hrs, $15

Hanoi - Ha long Bay - I went with an organised tour. The bus trip took about 4hrs.

#7 Posted: 9/3/2008 - 15:05

• lauraskrink

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Ok...

BKK to Chiang Mai: there are two options train or bus! We plumped for the train and there are two options sleeper seats. Most people overnight the train but it is almost double to do so. Taking a sleeper is about 1100 baht (if i remember right) while a seat is about 700. Seats are pretty good but the whole ride is very bumpy and not the easiest to sleep on whatever option you choose. Book in advance though at the train station itself, as the train often fills up especiallt on weekends.
    The bus is also pretty good and you can get an a/c VIP coach for about 600-700 baht which are also great. Friends recommended them!

Chiang Mai-Luang we took the slow option. Bus to Chiang Khong, stay overnight then cross to Huay Xai in Laos. Then take the 2 day slow boat through Pakbeng and arrive in Luang. It is pretty busy and can be very uncomfortable but you do see some of the country. But i do believe you can fly between the two saving quite a lot of time. We paid 1350 baht for the whole lot exc. food and accomodation in Pakbeng.

Luang- Vang Vieng. easy 6 hour bus ride with great scenery 125,000 kip.

Not sure about the bit in the middle through southern Laos.

PP- Saigon: nice easy trip through an agency. Takes 6 hours and $10 on an a/c bus. Remember that you need your Vietnam visa in advance.

Saigon- Hue There are an onslaught of overnight sleeper buses but avoid them if you can. they are often uncomfortable, busy and sometimes will stop before the destination and expect you to be happy about it! If you can afford the extra dosh get soft sleepers on the trains, they are much more comfortable and you can get a proper nights sleep on a soft bed!

Hue- Hanoi: as above

Hanoi-Ha Long: you could do this as an arganised trip. We paid $90 for a 3 day, 2 night trip from Hanoi inc everything except drinks and it was awesome. Budget trips start at $45+ but don't xpect the boats to be too awesome! Can do it independtly too but not sure of the cost.

Hanoi-BKK: fly with AirAsia as they are normally pretty cheap. Can probably fly for around $20-60 dollars depending on when you book!

#8 Posted: 17/3/2008 - 14:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
27 y/o female heading from Northern Thailand thru Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Southern Thailand ... By starseed on 4 Mar 2011 10 3411 25 Apr 2011
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back to Thailand - Good Plan? ... By PeterJW on 25 Sep 2011 3 3163 27 Sep 2011
23yo male, frm uk, 3months travelling Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand.. Jan2011 ... By benrob87 on 6 Oct 2010 4 2964 11 Dec 2010
Travel buddies wanted SE Asia (Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand) 22nd Nov - 1st Feb ... By LottieJ on 14 Nov 2012 0 1243 14 Nov 2012
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back to Thailand ... By JamesHamblin on 8 Apr 2009 8 6659 11 Apr 2009