Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

3 weeks in SE Asia

Posted by dj_gon on 13/11/2013 at 13:19

Hello,

I was in SE Asia for 2.5 weeks back in April and got to see Bangkok, Ao Nang, Singapore, and Siem Reap . It was a bit of a rush, but I really enjoyed Bangkok for its craziness and tasty street foods and Siem Reap for Angkor.

I'm now planning to go back there in January for about 3 weeks. This time, I'm thinking about going to different countries.

Is Vietnam worth going? Will it be as good as Bangkok? I'm thinking about 9 days in Vietnam starting from Hanoi -> Hue or Danang (Hoi-An) -> HCMC, all intercity travel by night train.

How about Malaysia? I'm planning to stay a week in KL and Penang...

The remaining 3 days will in Bali for a relaxing vacation before heading home.

Please give me some suggestions. Will this be too much of a rush again or manageable given my limited time frame?

Thanks.

#1 dj_gon has been a member since 3/1/2013. Location: Canada. Posts: 3
 Where has dj_gon been? 

Posted by chinarocks on 13/11/2013 at 13:37

Stick to Vietnam for your 3 weeks. Plenty of variety there. Craziness, tasty street food, beaches etc.

What you've planned is quite rushed - for example, 9 days to traverse the length of Vietnam is pushing it. Flying to Bali for 3 days - is it worth it? I certainly wouldn't do this type of trip but up to yourself obviously.

#2 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 740

Posted by aim88 on 13/11/2013 at 14:51

By the sounds of it you want to see a couple of different places so you could go to hanoi and see halong bay...it is cold there though at this time of year apparently!you could then travel down to hoi an and hue. You could then fly to kuala lumpur easily from hanoi and go to penang or langkawi or just go straight to bali and hop on a boat to gili islands for a week of relaxing. Have fun!

#3 aim88 has been a member since 27/10/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 13/11/2013 at 20:47

Flying to Bali for 3 days? Why?

I'd just do Vietnam with that time period. Skip Malaysia and Bali.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by dj_gon on 14/11/2013 at 13:26

I don't want to stay in Vietnam for the whole 3 weeks because my vacation is limited so I would like to travel to more than just one country. I really like to see Malaysia.

Actually, I don't have to go to Bali. I just want to chill out in a beach resort for a few days before heading back to Toronto. Anywhere I can do this in Malaysia or Vietnam?

#5 dj_gon has been a member since 3/1/2013. Location: Canada. Posts: 3
 Where has dj_gon been? 

Posted by chinarocks on 14/11/2013 at 13:55

The Perhentians in Malaysia are lovely but probably a bit tricky to get to in your time frame.

Hoi An in Vietnam has it all. Beach, food, charm, architecture. If you started in Malaysia (KL, Penang) then you could finish in Vietnam and specifically in Hoi An as it is nice to end with a beach.

#6 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 740

Posted by dj_gon on 15/11/2013 at 11:36

Thanks for the ideas. I'll skip Bali this time for sure and just stick with Vietnam & Malaysia for the 3 weeks.

Is the best way for inter-city travel in Vietnam by night train? I figured this saves me time on traveling and spend more time sightseeing...!

#7 dj_gon has been a member since 3/1/2013. Location: Canada. Posts: 3
 Where has dj_gon been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 15/11/2013 at 23:19

DJ - Listen to China here and do yourself a favor and stick to one country, Vietnam or Malaysia. Vietnam is probably a bit more variable, although I've always thought Penang would be a great place to spend a week myself and the Perhentians sound like good beach time (although I concede I'm not a beach guy and this would lead me to Vietnam - where I hate the food). Maximize your time on location, minimize your time in transit. See less, experience more. You'll be glad you did.

#8 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by exacto on 16/11/2013 at 10:54

Maximize your time on location, minimize your time in transit. See less, experience more.

Well said.

#9 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.