3 weeks in SE Asia

• dj_gon

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2013
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 10

Hello,

I was in SE Asia for 2.5 weeks back in April and got to see Bangkok, Ao Nang, Singapore, and Siem Reap . It was a bit of a rush, but I really enjoyed Bangkok for its craziness and tasty street foods and Siem Reap for Angkor.

I'm now planning to go back there in January for about 3 weeks. This time, I'm thinking about going to different countries.

Is Vietnam worth going? Will it be as good as Bangkok? I'm thinking about 9 days in Vietnam starting from Hanoi -> Hue or Danang (Hoi-An) -> HCMC, all intercity travel by night train.

How about Malaysia? I'm planning to stay a week in KL and Penang...

The remaining 3 days will in Bali for a relaxing vacation before heading home.

Please give me some suggestions. Will this be too much of a rush again or manageable given my limited time frame?

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 13:19

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Stick to Vietnam for your 3 weeks. Plenty of variety there. Craziness, tasty street food, beaches etc.

What you've planned is quite rushed - for example, 9 days to traverse the length of Vietnam is pushing it. Flying to Bali for 3 days - is it worth it? I certainly wouldn't do this type of trip but up to yourself obviously.

#2 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 13:37

• aim88

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2013

By the sounds of it you want to see a couple of different places so you could go to hanoi and see halong bay...it is cold there though at this time of year apparently!you could then travel down to hoi an and hue. You could then fly to kuala lumpur easily from hanoi and go to penang or langkawi or just go straight to bali and hop on a boat to gili islands for a week of relaxing. Have fun!

#3 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 14:51

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Flying to Bali for 3 days? Why?

I'd just do Vietnam with that time period. Skip Malaysia and Bali.

#4 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 20:47

• dj_gon

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2013
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 10

I don't want to stay in Vietnam for the whole 3 weeks because my vacation is limited so I would like to travel to more than just one country. I really like to see Malaysia.

Actually, I don't have to go to Bali. I just want to chill out in a beach resort for a few days before heading back to Toronto. Anywhere I can do this in Malaysia or Vietnam?

#5 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 13:26

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

The Perhentians in Malaysia are lovely but probably a bit tricky to get to in your time frame.

Hoi An in Vietnam has it all. Beach, food, charm, architecture. If you started in Malaysia (KL, Penang) then you could finish in Vietnam and specifically in Hoi An as it is nice to end with a beach.

#6 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 13:55

• dj_gon

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2013
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 10

Thanks for the ideas. I'll skip Bali this time for sure and just stick with Vietnam & Malaysia for the 3 weeks.

Is the best way for inter-city travel in Vietnam by night train? I figured this saves me time on traveling and spend more time sightseeing...!

#7 Posted: 15/11/2013 - 11:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

DJ - Listen to China here and do yourself a favor and stick to one country, Vietnam or Malaysia. Vietnam is probably a bit more variable, although I've always thought Penang would be a great place to spend a week myself and the Perhentians sound like good beach time (although I concede I'm not a beach guy and this would lead me to Vietnam - where I hate the food). Maximize your time on location, minimize your time in transit. See less, experience more. You'll be glad you did.

#8 Posted: 15/11/2013 - 23:19

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Maximize your time on location, minimize your time in transit. See less, experience more.

Well said.

#9 Posted: 16/11/2013 - 10:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.