Southeast Asia forum

Booking, canceling accommodation, refunds

• takezo

Joined Travelfish
    30th September, 2013

I am touring Laos and Cambodia between December and early January and was wondering whether it might be a good idea to book rooms in advance and/or what happens when you find something nicer, cheaper etc., i.e. can I simply cancel the remaining days/check out without having to pay a partial refund?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 04:35

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Normally if you cancel outside of 48 hrs it's ok but you have to read the terms and conditions on websites. I recommend Booking.com because they don't charge you upfront and only take a card guarantee. For really cheap deals though there maybe no refund possible. I usually find for big cities book online but small towns you can just rock up and find a room in a small guesthouse and bargain direct.

#2 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 08:40

• takezo

Joined Travelfish
    30th September, 2013

Hi Leonard!

Thanks for your reply.
    But I also wanted to know whether, say, you are booked for 3 or 4 days and then you find something nicer, cheaper, whatever, can you then switch to the new hotel after a day or two without having to pay the remaining nights in the first?

Thanks

#3 Posted: 16/11/2013 - 14:16

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

In most places it is not ncessary to book so unless you are talking about somewhere very touristy and at very peak season (christmas/new year/festival) or very special or a where there is not much choice then would not consider booking in the first place but if you want to why not just book for one night in the first place and then extend if you like the place.

#4 Posted: 19/11/2013 - 06:09

• takezo

Joined Travelfish
    30th September, 2013

Yes, but what if I book for one night, like it and then there are no rooms for the following nights? I just wanted to know what happens when you have book for several nights and then decide to leave after the first. Do you need to pay the remaining days or part of the amount?

#5 Posted: 22/11/2013 - 05:28

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Learn how this world works-there is NO 100% full answer possible to your nagging problem. ALL and each HTL full anywhere-thats only in Myanmar/Burma-too many people suddenly flock into it and want to be seen as adventuremakers. SEA has a giant oversupply of about anything they can make money on from stupid tourists.
    For the rest-you did not even tell what budget you aim for- anything thats on the www will cost more as just walk in in the Asian BUDGET sector. If not-its way overpriced anyway. In the low budget standd one mostly pays upfront -insist on seeing the room before- for the stay. Many places f.e. in TH do not want www-booking, as they also select their guests and do not take anyone.
    PLus: how the heck would you find a better/cheaper/whatever place anyway if staying in another place?

#6 Posted: 22/11/2013 - 07:08

• Hongety

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

In my opinion you just should book in advance if you havedetailed plan. Because, if you have book the ticket you want to cancel you mustpay fee.

#7 Posted: 22/11/2013 - 22:04

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

It's normal to pay a cancellation fee or at least one more night if you decide to leave earlier. Only hotels & guesthouses that rely primarily on walk-ins would be lenient to you cancelling.

The nights that you have booked, the hotel can not sell those rooms in advance so they can only hope to sell them last minute. You also don't order 5 breads at your bakery and then the decide to buy only 1 at the last minute. No business can work like that and it's unfair to expect that from a hotel or guesthouse.

#8 Posted: 23/11/2013 - 02:25

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

It's normal to pay a cancellation fee or at least one more night if you decide to leave earlier. Only hotels & guesthouses that rely primarily on walk-ins would be lenient to you cancelling.

The nights that you have booked, the hotel can not sell those rooms in advance so they can only hope to sell them last minute. You also don't order 5 breads at your bakery and then the decide to buy only 1 at the last minute. No business can work like that and it's unfair to expect that from a hotel or guesthouse.

#9 Posted: 23/11/2013 - 02:25

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

You have to read the t and cs as I said. Normally if you cancel early you can get a full refund but not always and may lose 1 night. As I said look at booking.com

#10 Posted: 26/11/2013 - 10:27

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.