Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Booking, canceling accommodation, refunds

Posted by takezo on 14/11/2013 at 04:35

I am touring Laos and Cambodia between December and early January and was wondering whether it might be a good idea to book rooms in advance and/or what happens when you find something nicer, cheaper etc., i.e. can I simply cancel the remaining days/check out without having to pay a partial refund?

Thanks

#1 takezo has been a member since 30/9/2013. Posts: 19

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 14/11/2013 at 08:40

Normally if you cancel outside of 48 hrs it's ok but you have to read the terms and conditions on websites. I recommend Booking.com because they don't charge you upfront and only take a card guarantee. For really cheap deals though there maybe no refund possible. I usually find for big cities book online but small towns you can just rock up and find a room in a small guesthouse and bargain direct.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by takezo on 16/11/2013 at 14:16

Hi Leonard!

Thanks for your reply.
But I also wanted to know whether, say, you are booked for 3 or 4 days and then you find something nicer, cheaper, whatever, can you then switch to the new hotel after a day or two without having to pay the remaining nights in the first?

Thanks

#3 takezo has been a member since 30/9/2013. Posts: 19

Posted by amnicoll on 19/11/2013 at 06:09

In most places it is not ncessary to book so unless you are talking about somewhere very touristy and at very peak season (christmas/new year/festival) or very special or a where there is not much choice then would not consider booking in the first place but if you want to why not just book for one night in the first place and then extend if you like the place.

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 616

Posted by takezo on 22/11/2013 at 05:28

Yes, but what if I book for one night, like it and then there are no rooms for the following nights? I just wanted to know what happens when you have book for several nights and then decide to leave after the first. Do you need to pay the remaining days or part of the amount?

#5 takezo has been a member since 30/9/2013. Posts: 19

Posted by captainbkk on 22/11/2013 at 07:08

Learn how this world works-there is NO 100% full answer possible to your nagging problem. ALL and each HTL full anywhere-thats only in Myanmar/Burma-too many people suddenly flock into it and want to be seen as adventuremakers. SEA has a giant oversupply of about anything they can make money on from stupid tourists.
For the rest-you did not even tell what budget you aim for- anything thats on the www will cost more as just walk in in the Asian BUDGET sector. If not-its way overpriced anyway. In the low budget standd one mostly pays upfront -insist on seeing the room before- for the stay. Many places f.e. in TH do not want www-booking, as they also select their guests and do not take anyone.
PLus: how the heck would you find a better/cheaper/whatever place anyway if staying in another place?

#6 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by Hongety on 22/11/2013 at 22:04

Posted from within Vietnam.

In my opinion you just should book in advance if you havedetailed plan. Because, if you have book the ticket you want to cancel you mustpay fee.

#7 Hongety has been a member since 22/11/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by eastwest on 23/11/2013 at 02:25

It's normal to pay a cancellation fee or at least one more night if you decide to leave earlier. Only hotels & guesthouses that rely primarily on walk-ins would be lenient to you cancelling.

The nights that you have booked, the hotel can not sell those rooms in advance so they can only hope to sell them last minute. You also don't order 5 breads at your bakery and then the decide to buy only 1 at the last minute. No business can work like that and it's unfair to expect that from a hotel or guesthouse.

#8 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by eastwest on 23/11/2013 at 02:25

It's normal to pay a cancellation fee or at least one more night if you decide to leave earlier. Only hotels & guesthouses that rely primarily on walk-ins would be lenient to you cancelling.

The nights that you have booked, the hotel can not sell those rooms in advance so they can only hope to sell them last minute. You also don't order 5 breads at your bakery and then the decide to buy only 1 at the last minute. No business can work like that and it's unfair to expect that from a hotel or guesthouse.

#9 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 26/11/2013 at 10:27

You have to read the t and cs as I said. Normally if you cancel early you can get a full refund but not always and may lose 1 night. As I said look at booking.com

#10 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.