Southeast Asia forum

From Thailand to Cambodia and Vietnam

• peturorn

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2013
    Location Iceland

Hi there,

We are two guys traveling from Bangkok to Cambodia and then to Vietnam and we have only 24 days to do it. (17th of March - 10th of April)

So my question is, what route do you recommend for us to travel and what places are a must to see along the way to our last destination which is Hanoi(We plan to fly from there back to Bangkok).

Our interest are culture, beaches, food and of course a little bit of partying and we are backpacking so it would be on a budget.
    I´ve been using Google a lot, and this page of course and I just need a little help here because I´m a little lost, especially about the route to go!

With regards,
    Peter

#1 Posted: 28/11/2013 - 14:33

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

No places are a must see. So if you like say caves or kayaking then look up where is the best places to go.

What is culture? If you want Thai culture then learn the language and talk to the locals.

#2 Posted: 28/11/2013 - 19:07

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Of course there are quite a few ways to go. This is just one possibility ...

- Go from Bangkok by train or bus to Aranayaprathet, and from there to Siem Reap if you want to see Angkor.
    - From Siem Reap you could head south to Phnom Penh by bus or boat.
    - From PP go south to Sihanoukville, or Kampot, for the coast and beaches/islands you might want to hang-out on for a bit.
    - Cross into S. Vietnam and then work your way north to Hanoi. Plenty to see and do along the way.

If you're really into the beaches and want to spend more time on a few, then consider skipping Siem Reap and Phnom Penh and heading to the islands in the Trat Provice of Thailand, spend some time in that area on one of the islands or mainland beaches, then enter Cambodia through Had Lek/Koh Kong, about 70 km from Trat and hit some of the Cambodian islands/beaches.

Make sure you've got your Vietnamese visa before you get to the border.

As for places where you should definitely check-out and how long to stay in each, I suggest you do a bit more research on this site, or buy a guidebook on the region and see what's there that interests you.

#3 Posted: 30/11/2013 - 12:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.