Southeast Asia forum

Considering extending my trip! Please help me figure this out :D

• kanda

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2013

Hi all,

Firstly, I'll say that this is a pretty involved question, so I'll appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.

I'm currently planning a solo trip to South East Asia in January. I've only booked flights (all AirAsia) so far. Currently the travel plan is:

17th Jan - Fly Sydney to KL, then sleep in airport :DD
    18th Jan - Fly KL to Yangon
    23rd Jan - Fly Yangon - Bangkok

I haven't booked any internal flights for this period yet, and the plan was going to be:

Bangkok for a week (+?), train up to Chiang Mai stopping at Ayutthaya, Phitsanulok, etc. Check out Chiang Mai/Rai and then fly to Siem Reap, spend some time at Angkor Wat and PP, and then on

19 February - Fly Phnom Penh to KL and then to Bali, where I am meeting up with friends and staying there until March 3rd, then I fly home.

I'd appreciate any input on what I should do on the interior part of the trip-- I haven't really figured out how long I want to spend in each place, and I know that it makes sense to not figure that out, and just see how I like it, but some part of me wants to book hotels, and I'm not really sure what to do.

Furthermore, now I am considering extending my trip. Either forwards or backwards, bringing it forwards might be a bit tough, because I am cutting my Myanmar visa close at the moment (right now I'm waiting for my passport, so I can send in my application) so I might have to do something IN BETWEEN, rather than move everything forward. On the backwards side, I can only move it back 1-1.5 weeks, but that's pretty similar to how long I would move it forward-- I wouldn't want to go too close to the holiday rush period.

So where could / should I go for that period? Somewhere in Malaysia? I was considering going to Laos, Vietnam and China also in this trip, but Vietnam and China atleast seem like they really require their own trip and wouldnt really fit within my restraints. I can virtually fly anywhere in Asia because AirAsia is so cheap / always has sales. They carry a lot of smaller destinations as well.

http://www.airasia.com/ot/en/where-we-fly/route-map.page

Summary:

[li]Please help me figure out how I should spend my time internally (Thailand and Cambodia and ?)[/li][li]I am considering extending my trip either forwards (flying earlier than Jan 17) or backwards (flying home after March 3rd)[/li][li]However, It'll be difficult to change the week in Myanmar unless I do major restructuring because I am currently waiting for my passport to arrive so I can apply for the visa, so I'm cutting it a little close.[/li][li]I could probably only add 1-2 weeks, as forwards that'd be getting real close to the holiday flight period (high prices?), and backwards my uni actually resumes on the 2nd, so I don't want to miss more than a few weeks of it.[/li][/ulist]
    Thanks all!

#1 Posted: 5/12/2013 - 06:34

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Kanda,

Looks to me that you already have things figured out. By the time you hit all the places you want to visit, your time there is going to be over. Jan. 18th until Feb. 19th is definitely not a long of time for the area.

As for booking hotels, considering what you have in mind, the only place I'd do this would be Yangon. Have a place to stay there before you arrive.

As for timing, you really should consider extending your time in Burma. You aren't even there for a week. Going for such a short time will allow you to see Yangon, perhaps Bago and/or Kyiakto, and that will be it. Bit of a shame considering the cost and effort associated with getting there, and how much the country has to offer. Do some research on the place and you'll discover that there are loads of great destinations, and also that transport there can be painfully slow and unreliable. Not great when one is on a tight schedule.

As for how long you should spend in each place, that is something you'll have to figure out when you get there. For example, some people hate Bangkok and skip it completely while others love the place and spend ages there. Some people love Koh Phi Phi while others run screaming from the place. It's all subjective and depends on your likes and dislikes, the vibe you get, etc. Don't count on others to determine this kind of thing for you.

By locking yourself into flights you are locking yourself into a schedule that you might not want to keep after you've been there for a bit. If you really want to fly between a couple of places, think about getting your ticket(s) when you're there rather than weeks in advance.

Since you have to go back to KL anyway, you might think of ditching your trip to northern Thailand and going south in the direction of KL and checking out some of Thailand's Andaman coast, as well as Penanag/Georgetown, which is a really nice place.

Your month will be over before you know it.

Whatever you do, have a great time.

#2 Posted: 5/12/2013 - 10:36

• kanda

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2013

Hi, thanks for the response.

That's why I'm considering extending my trip:

"Either forwards or backwards, bringing it forwards might be a bit tough, because I am cutting my Myanmar visa close at the moment (right now I'm waiting for my passport, so I can send in my application) so I might have to do something IN BETWEEN, rather than move everything forward. On the backwards side, I can only move it back 1-1.5 weeks, but that's pretty similar to how long I would move it forward-- I wouldn't want to go too close to the holiday rush period.

So where could / should I go for that period? Somewhere in Malaysia? I was considering going to Laos, Vietnam and China also in this trip, but Vietnam and China atleast seem like they really require their own trip and wouldnt really fit within my restraints. I can virtually fly anywhere in Asia because AirAsia is so cheap / always has sales. They carry a lot of smaller destinations as well."

#3 Posted: 5/12/2013 - 10:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.