Southeast Asia forum

Malaysia or Laos

• marianaamc

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2013

Hello everyone! I will be going to SEA in summer and I'm undecided about the end of my trip.

I have 18 days to spend and here are my two options:

first:
    Khao Sok
    Krabi area/koh tao koh phangan
    Penang
    Perhetians

second:
    Chiang mai
    Luang prabang
    Nong kiaw
    Vang Vieng
    Vientiane

Knowing that I only have 18 days, and that I never visited this places, ie. if I chose nº2 I won't go to southern Thailand and Malaysia, if I chose nº1 I won't go to Chiang mai or Laos, and that I will be traveling in rainy season. I know it's a matter of taste mostly but I'm here looking for your opinions since I'm very undecided.

If it helps, before in my trip I will do Burma(yangon bagan inle), Cambodia(siem reap PP) and Bangkok.

#1 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 17:50

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Depends whether u want beaches or inland mountain areas.

Those 2 options are totally different.

#2 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 19:30

• marianaamc

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2013

As I said:
    "I know it's a matter of taste mostly but I'm here looking for your opinions since I'm very undecided."

#3 Posted: 20/12/2013 - 06:01

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Right. I think what Leonard was trying to get at is that it is a matter of your taste, and if we knew better what you liked, we could make a recommendation that best fits your style. For example, a beach element is an essential part of any holiday for my wife. She wants sand and waves and those big drinks with little umbrellas.

Normally, having visited each place more than a few times, I'd tell anyone that Laos is far more interesting than Malaysia. I particularly love spending time along the Mekong River, as you'd be doing in Luang Prabang and Vientiane. However, since you'll already be going to Burma and Cambodia, I suspect you'll be better off spending those last 18 days in southern Thailand and Malaysia. It will give you a different kind of variety than the route through Laos, and lots of folks I know design itineraries where the chill out on the beach portion of their trip comes at the very end. It is like taking that last slow, relaxing breath before heading back to school or work or whatever awaits at the end of the fun.

I hope that helps. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 20/12/2013 - 11:39

• aim88

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2013

hey yes it definately depends what you would prefer...do you like paradise beaches, chilling out and great beach parties at night?!then I would go for the first one....perhentians are brilliant for backpackers. you will meet some great likeminded people and the beach is just paradise.
    kao sok has loads of activities so you can still get your action, nature and jungle fix there!I loved it there...go for a jungle cottage.
    I think the first one as you are going to want to relax after the first part of your trip :-)

#5 Posted: 20/12/2013 - 12:21

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

If it was me I'd pick a bit of both. Khao Sok, Krabi and Luang Prabang.

#6 Posted: 20/12/2013 - 20:03

• marianaamc

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2013

My idea was exactly it, relaxing in the last days of traveling.
    Since I don't wanna fly to Laos, too expensive for me, I think it will be impossible to do Luang prabang and Khao sok.
    My idea to go to perhetians was that I looks beautiful and it's a good season to visit, not raining too much like the southern east of Thailand and a little more attractive to me than the Thai islands of the Gulf. Khao Sok will be very rainy but it does attract me very much.
    One thing I might consider, if going to Laos, is doing just Siem Reap in Cambodia and fitting Khao sok there, it might not be easy but I would love to do the lake tour if available and maybe some kayaking since it will be a good time of the year for that.

But for now I think I would keep my too options in mind and not schedule anything for that part of my trip deciding after Burma what I feel like.
    I normally would pick Laos right away for my taste, but I never made such a big trip and I don't know if I would like to rest a bit at the end.
    What really bugs me about this option is that if I do feel like the first option I would like to spend the time before Burma all in Cambodia and if I feel like number two I would like to fit Khao Sok there...

#7 Posted: 21/12/2013 - 04:00

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

How do u know it will be raining a lot?

#8 Posted: 21/12/2013 - 06:05

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

If flying to Laos is expensive for u then Khao Sok will also be expensive as will the Perhentians.

#9 Posted: 21/12/2013 - 06:07

• marianaamc

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2013

I don't know it will be raining a lot. But it is rainy season in a rainforest. It's just common sense to expect the rain. And every year's charts can't be wrong. What's your problem? Does my sentence bother you?

Most of Khao sok lake tours are about 2500baht two days one night, less than 80$ with one night sleep food and activities for two days.
    On way flight to Luang Prabang from Bangkok it's close to 200$. Just for transportation and just one way. Don't understand how you can even compare.

#10 Posted: 23/12/2013 - 18:05

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Ive been going every yr for 10 yrs in low season and hardly experienced much rain at all.

KS tours normally cost more than that unless u have multiple people.

#11 Posted: 23/12/2013 - 21:48

• awangothman

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2013

Another option, I suggest you come to Kuching Sarawak where nature and culture are plentiful to enjoy and experience.

#12 Posted: 25/12/2013 - 08:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Not to get off track, but I think Marianne got the feedback she was looking for. To wit this interested me:

"you will meet some great likeminded people and the beach is just paradise."

Why would anyone assume what the interests or outlooks are for a person based on where they go for vacation? I'm at a loss on this one. How do you know what Marianne's mind is like?

#13 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 03:34

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Why would u want to meet like minded people? Diversity is what makes people interesting.

#14 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 07:30

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"Diversity is what makes people interesting."

This bland cliche may or may not be true but if I know if I was travelling on my own I would like to meet like minded people who share my interests rather than those who don't.

#15 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 09:31

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i think the photo in item #13 is from cabo san lucas, baja california sur, mexico.

i agree shared interests and having something in common with the people you meet is important, even if it is just a few things. for example, who wants to hang out with a bunch of swing dancers when you like to salsa?

did the OP decide where she wants to go yet?

#16 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 10:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

OK, my queston wasn't whether or not there was merit in meeting like minded people (a good question, but not the one I proposed here) but rather how aim concluded that the Perhentians would have people who are "like minded" to Marianne?

Aim you still on point?

#17 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 11:08

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

right. i completely got that. how could anyone possibly know who is like minded without knowing them first. i was just trying to have some fun and i hope you were too. i still think the picture is cabo. and i'd like to hear what the OP decides too. cheers.

#18 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 13:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.