Southeast Asia forum

Vaccinations

• rudder6

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2013

Hi,

Im new to the world of travel, heading out to Bangkok in October and travelling for 6 months. Most information i need is in all of the guides and forums on here but one thing i can seem to find a great deal of info about is what vaccinations i will need before i go or what timescale i should get them before i leave. Can someone point in the right direction please.

Much appreciated
    Greg

#1 Posted: 5/1/2014 - 15:37

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

You should have Hep A & B, Typhoid and up to date Tetanus. Japanese Encaphalitis and Rabies are optional although most people don't seem to bother with these.

Malaria pills are dependent on specific locations of travel as well as current Malaria situation in those places(main places are jungles in Laos and Cambodia). The use of malaria pills is at your discretion and has benefits and drawbacks, if you don't want to take malaria pills for prevention then you can take some with you for treatment(12 pills of malarone) if you would rather do that. Either way if you get a nasty fever make sure you go to a doctor.

Dengue fever which can be quite bad(believe me, I had it and it wasn't even one the bad strain) and there is nothing you can do but take precautions to avoid mosquito bites.

You may want to take a bottle of travellers diarrhoea pills if you think that might be an issue(with 6 months it could be at some point).

Research those vaccines, Hep A & B in particular require a dosing schedule months in advance(although there is also accelerated schedules too).

#2 Posted: 5/1/2014 - 17:34

• rudder6

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2013

Thanks for the info!! Appreciated

#3 Posted: 14/1/2014 - 13:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.