Southeast Asia forum

10-12 month SEA trip. Budget question.

• Arikara1985

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

I spent 5 weeks this summer in Thailand and Cambodia. I am now planning my trip back. Intend to leave around the middle of August.

Plan is Philippines > Vietnam > Laos > Myanmar > Malaysia > Thailand. Might include Indonesia and Singapore but not sure. Intend to go at a fairly slow place, month in Philippines for example, 4 places for a week each. Even willing to stay in some places longer.

Does $20,000cdn seem reasonable for that for at least 10 months? I'm going to stay in hostels a fair bit (didn't on last trip so I spent more).

Any suggestions?

#1 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 21:27

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Should be plenty. Even if you assume $3000 for plane tickets, health insurance and any other overhead expenses that still gives you ~ $56 per day. At 12 months it would be ~$46 per day.

Many people travel south east asia for $30-40and some long term/slow travellers get by on as low as $20(wouldn't recommend this though).

I travelled for around $30 and my trip which was just under 4 months cost me $6200 for everything. 4 months was long enough for me so the only thing I will say is you might get sick of travelling if you go for that long. Make sure you mix it up, splurge every once in a while and spend extra time in places trying to make friends, volunteering etc.

#2 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 21:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Big question for a 1,5 month trip ... By mistiko on 22 Nov 2009 2 2306 7 Jan 2010