Southeast Asia forum

Help needed

• r_achel4

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2014

Hi, I want to travel around Asia between July and December - I've done some research but I'm more unsure now than I was before! I literally do not know where to start! I have some questions, so any input would be greatly appreciated;

I've read that as a ginger haired girl, China may present some problems with harassment/people taking photos/staring etc. Has anyone had any experience of this?
    I've read some travel blogs which say you don't need to book accommodation and to find somewhere to stay once you've arrived - I'm obviously wary about ending up somewhere with no definite place to stay for the night- any advice?
    I have around £9000 but this is to include everything (flights, visa etc) - does this seem like enough for 6 months?

#1 Posted: 15/1/2014 - 16:33

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I've lived in China for 7 years now and I wouldn't call what fair-haired people face 'harassment'. It more like curiosity. Now, if you are in places like Beijing & Shanghai where they are used to foreigners it will only be the Chinese who are also visiting the city who will stare at you. It is something you just have to accept, maybe a brave person will even ask to have their picture taken with you. If you are out in the sticks - you can expect a lot more staring, MAYBE someone brave enough to approach you. However, I've never heard someone describe it as harassment.

As for booking ahead - I tend to do this if I know I want a specific accommodation and I hear it is very popular. I usually end up traveling to places in the high season though, so it makes it more important to do that. However, in certain cities if I have no particular concern where I stay I'll usually show up with an idea of the best area to go to to wander around and find a room - usually doesn't take more than an hour. Sometimes you get a better rate as a walk in, sometimes Agoda is better.

#2 Posted: 15/1/2014 - 17:38

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Ginger bigots lol
    Please

#3 Posted: 15/1/2014 - 21:54

• r_achel4

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2014

Caseypritch, thanks for your comments, I appreciate it :)Leonard Cohen, I never said they were bigots - I merely stated that a number of reviews/blogs etc I have read said that those with ginger hair had been uncomfortable during their time in China due to people photographing/filming them and staring.

#4 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 04:50

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

In remote places any foreigner looks weird to them. When i've visited remote places I've had lots of looks and stares.

In big cities no one will care.

Seems a rather strange thing to be worried about.

If an Asian tourist turns up in an outback western town that gets no tourists the locals will stare at them too and wonder why they are there.

Just curiousty.

#5 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 09:46

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi r_achel4,

Six months sounds like a nice amount of time to explore Asia. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

I agree with Casey that you are more likely to be a minor object of curiosity, but it isn't likely to be anything worse than that. I remember when I lived in a few rural parts of Thailand in the mid 1980's, for example, long before tourism had reached those parts of the country. People were interested in how I looked and how different I was from them, but it was just friendly curiosity.

As for finding places to stay, I usually only book accommodation in advance if I am arriving in a large city after an international flight, plan to arrive late, or have a specific place I want to stay. Otherwise, I just show up and find something that looks good in my price range. Arriving earlier in the day at each new destination if possible will help with that. You can also do a bit of advance research for the places you plan to visit and pick out two or three potential options that are relatively close to each other so you at least have an idea of location, price, etc.

I hope that at least helps get you started. Cheers.

#6 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 10:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.