Southeast Asia forum

Thailand/Cambodia itinerary

• Flowerpot

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2014

First post on this site but I'm a long-time reader.

Me and my girlfriend have booked a trip for 20 days in August, we fly in to and out of Bangkok but we aim to get around the country as much as possible. Is our itinerary realistic?

It's roughly as follows...

Day 1 - Bangkok
    2 - Night train to Surat Thani
    days 3-5 - Ko Samui
    days 6-9 - Ko Tao
    10 - Bangkok
    11 - Travel overland to Siem Reap
    days 12-15 - siem reap
    16 - travel to Khorat in Isaan province back in Thailand
    17-19 - Khao Yai National Park
    20 - Back to Bangkok to fly home

Are there any things we could miss or do instead that would be more sensible?

#1 Posted: 17/1/2014 - 06:02

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Better to fly to Cambodia. Saves a lot of hassle.

Khao Yai to me was disappointing. Much prefer Khong Chiam and Ubon.

#2 Posted: 17/1/2014 - 07:29

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

Give yourself 4 days on one island rather than 5 on 2 and take an extra day to enjoy Siem Reap .

Air Asia do flights from Surat Thani to Bangkok for about 1000B (checked for flights in August), this would save you a lot of time and is actually cheaper than the train if you book well in advance. You could even get a second Air Asia flight to Siem Reap from Bangkok for another 2000B or so, saving you even more time.

#3 Posted: 17/1/2014 - 13:11

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I think 4 full days in Siem Reap is plenty. And you've basically given yourself 2 days to get from Ko Tao to Siem Reap. The night train might be fun so I'd keep it on the itinerary but seriously consider trying to catch a connector from Surat Thani or Koh Samui to BKK and then onward to Siem Reap in the same day. You save a full day on the schedule you can use somewhere else, even if just to get back to BKK one day early and check the city out.

One way to holiday that I'm very fond of is to save my beach time for the end of my vacation. I usually start out being pretty gung ho and enjoy all the temples and trekking and then like to clean up and relax on the beach for a spell. Not sure if you'd considered reversing the itinerary.

#4 Posted: 18/1/2014 - 00:41

• Flowerpot

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2014

Thanks for replies. I'd like to fly but we're on a bit of a budget to be honest so it might be out of the question. Speaking of which, what would you suggest as a reasonable budget for a couple who are not interested in lavish travelling but like comforts like our own bathroom, air con etc?

To be honest I wasn't even bothered about seeing Ko Samui but for Ang Thong marine park which i've read is fantastic. Weather is a factor too at that time of year, our plans are flexible so if we arrive in Bangkok and the forecast for the southern Gulf is a week of rain, we'll then go to Cambodia first.

I'd also read that it's best to go from Bangkok to Siem Reap early in the morning to avoid long queues and to minimise the inevitable hassle at some stage.

#5 Posted: 18/1/2014 - 09:58

• raygun

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2014

Checkout this site for train travel http://www.seat61.com/

#6 Posted: 25/1/2014 - 04:36

• sarah6969pi-
    nk

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013

We found air con was often quite a bit more, but own bathroom was easily affordable.

#7 Posted: 26/1/2014 - 14:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.