Southeast Asia forum

Train Thailand>Cambodia>Vietnam>China>Mongolia>Russia?

• raygun

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2014

I've been planning a trip around Thailand, but recently discovered http://www.seat61.com/ and was stoked to discover links to the Trans-Siberian route via SE Asia.

First has anyone done this? Second, would some others like to do it in the spring, as I'm going solo, and have been thinking it might be nice to have some at least one or two others, so it wouldn't be me looking out for myself only kind of situation 24/7. I know the west to east route is more popular with westerners, but the opposite direction seems more appealing, especially checking out more of China.

My primary interest, if we can call it that, is taking photos along the way.

#1 Posted: 25/1/2014 - 04:52

• Advertisement

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hi Raygun

I travelled from the UK to Cambodia on the train a couple of years ago. Well, technically it was UK to HCMC, then a bus into Cambodia, as the trains aren't quite running here yet for passengers!

I'd really recommend the trip. It's a slow and interesting way of travelling, and you can plan a few stop-offs along the way. We took breaks in Hanoi, Beijing, Ulaan Bator, Irkutsk (and saw Lake Baikal, world's largest freshwater lake), Moscow and Warsaw. Of course, there's many more places to check out. You do need to buy tickets for individual legs of the journey, though - you can't hop off for a few days and then use your previous ticket for onward travel.

Seat61 is awesome for planning and getting the detail. We did discover that you can save up to 30% on the cost of the trip by buying tickets as you go, instead of in advance. However, that depends on your risk comfort level, public holidays at the time you are travelling, visa restrictions etc.

Also found that Westerners/tourists are often booked in the same coaches, so you'll usually find some company. That said, my favourite companion was a Ukrainian man who insisted on making us cups of tea using 6 teabags per cup...

#2 Posted: 27/1/2014 - 05:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
23/F travelling Sep to Feb China/Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand/Malaysia ... By carolinesarah on 11 Jun 2012 13 1802 20 Nov 2012
32 yo m from singapore travelling China-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Myanmar-Thailand-Malaysia ... By charltonsz on 26 Dec 2010 3 2439 26 Dec 2010