Southeast Asia forum

SE Asia itinerary ideas? May-mid August 2014

• ladylish

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2014

Hello all -

Bit of a ramble to contextualise our trip: I'm a 23 year old woman from London, and along with my boyfriend, we'll be backpacking Asia for a few months from April this year. The original plan was to do a trek in Nepal and then visit India, but we've had it convincingly pointed out to us that May/June/July will be an awful time of year to be in the areas of India we wanted to visit. (At the very beginning of our planning, we were intending to be out there right now, but work commitments have forced the trip back).

As a result, we're suddenly now back to the drawing board after thinking about India for months. We are still going to be doing a trek in Nepal in April, but we're now considering SE Asia to follow. Money is unfortunately not limitless - I personally will probably be looking to take around £5000 for the whole thing (we've already booked our flight out to Kathmandu and have paid a deposit for the trek in Nepal, which once we've fully paid is going to total around £800 each) - but we're hoping to be out there for as long as possible. Realistically, we'll probably be heading home in late July/mid-August.

Knowing that the summer is not the best time to visit SE Asia, I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start with planning a new route. We want to avoid retracing steps as much as possible, but I also want to work with the weather patterns. I've heard Malaysia and Indonesia are both good at that time (and we can fly direct from Kathmandu to Kuala Lumpur), but we were also very keen to see Cambodia, Vietnam and, of course, Thailand.

I know that's probably a LOT of countries for only a 3 to 4 month trip, so I'm keen to hear peoples' opinions regarding what would be a good route from May-August. We can always save to come back to see countries we might miss, though it'll probably not be for as long a travel period again!

Also, I know Thailand and Cambodia are relatively cheap for backpackers (which is how we'll be travelling) but in peoples' opinions, how do Malaysia and Indonesia fare in comparison?

Many thanks for any input!

- Lish

#1 Posted: 3/2/2014 - 07:17

• Advertisement

• Poohh

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2014

Hi Lish,

Unfortunately I've no answers, but I'm planning a trip to SEA and Nepal from the end of May until December. I'm haveing the exact same questions as you: how to work with the weather. I even considered postponing the whole adventure (I don't want to), but one of my friends living in Thailand told me that you can travel in SEA the whole year. Just be flexible. But I have no idea what to expect.

Soooo....how to work with the weather? Maybe include Indonesia?? Same questions here - I'll be following your post with a lot of interest!

P.

#2 Posted: 5/2/2014 - 08:24

• ladylish

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2014

Hi Poohh -

I've asked this same question on a couple of different forums, and after a (lot) more reading and looking up weather patterns, I think we'll be doing something like this:

Nepal--> Cambodia (via Malaysia) --> Thailand --> Malaysia --> Indonesia

I'm still hankering for Vietnam or even Laos, though... So we'll see. We're thinking to try to be in Thailand for June, as I've read that the rains hit pretty hard in May and then ease off for June, before picking up again for the rest of the season, while Cambodia seems best (for when we'll be there!) for May.

Unfortunately, we don't have the option to postpone. The flight out to Kathmandu is booked for the 10th April, and we've put down a deposit on a guided trek. Originally, we HAD to go in the summer - due to work commitments and the possibility of my boyfriend moving to California in the Autumn for work. However, the USA plan fell through, so now it's just the flight really holding us back. I'm trying to look on the bright side though - rainy season = less crowds and (hopefully) cheaper living!

If you're going to be in SE Asia in the autumn and early winter, though, would you just save the mainland til then?

- L

#3 Posted: 5/2/2014 - 10:55

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Malaysia is 10 to 25% more expensive than thailand
    Indo is cheap

#4 Posted: 5/2/2014 - 19:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vacation ideas august 2010 ... By rgoldstein on 2 Feb 2010 1 1676 2 Feb 2010