Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Thailand - Burma - Cambodia - Laos possible in 4 days?

Posted by adammcintyre on 18/2/2014 at 02:30

4 days.. lol Just kidding, but hopefully got your attention.

I've come to the end of my tourist visas for Thailand.

I'm about to join a school and so get myself a 12 month ED visa, however I need to go to a border country to get my ED Visa processed - so I may as well use it as an excuse to stretch my legs.

I could just go to Laos (I believe) and get my ED Visa stamped there. But I fancy a trip to the beach.

I've not yet visited Laos, Cambodia or Myanmar.

I'm living in Chiang Mai and have friends in Mae Sai , so my plan (of the past hour) is to stay in Mae Sai for a night, cross the border into Myanmar and make my way down to the beach for a week or so.

After I'm bored of sand, head to Yangon and fly AirAsia to Cambodia.

From Cambodia, find my way to Laos and get my ED visa processed, then travel back home to Chiang Mai.

Can anyone offer any advice on this?

I'm terrible at planning and prefer to just turn up in places. Is there any visa requirements for entering Myanmar, Cambodia or Laos? Do they offer VOA?

Can anyone recommend the best way to travel from Mae Sai to the south of Myanmar?

Thanks in advanced to anyone who can offer some insight on any part of my plan 8-)

Adam

#1 adammcintyre has been a member since 4/7/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 53
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by MADMAC on 18/2/2014 at 06:48

That was hillarious! Sorry I can't help you on your details.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by adammcintyre on 18/2/2014 at 06:55

46165768.jpg
haha

#3 adammcintyre has been a member since 4/7/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 53
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 18/2/2014 at 06:56

I normally aim for 10 countries in 4 days.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by adammcintyre on 18/2/2014 at 22:49

@Dunggtt, yes I know. It was a joke.

#5 adammcintyre has been a member since 4/7/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 53
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by SBE on 18/2/2014 at 23:56

You get a 14 day stamp when you do a visa run to Myanmar but I don't think it lets you to do any onward travelling. You're still only permitted to stay within a few kms of the border AFAIK. If you wanted to visit Myanmar beaches I think you'd have to go to Bangkok and get a proper 28 day tourist visa. The quickest and easiest way from BKK would be to fly into Yangon and head to the coast from there....if I remember right, it's about an 8 hour bus ride from Yangon to the nearest beaches.

Laos and Cambodia both have VOA. Might be quicker and easer to head to the Cambodian coast if you want to be by the ocean. TF has info about Cambodian beaches and islands if you do a search. It might be wise to check there's a room available before heading to one of the islands though. Southern Thailand is still VERY full of tourists so I'm guessing Cambodia is still pretty busy too... in theory it should calm down a bit in March.

#6 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by adammcintyre on 19/2/2014 at 00:05

Thanks @SBE

Damn, I read a few articles online recently about visiting the Myanmar coast and was hoping it could be a nice option instead of Thai-south style overcrowding haha.

I think I'll cut it out and do as you suggest - go to the beach in Cambodia.

How long are the VOA for Cambodia / Laos? 30 days?

Again thanks for the info!

#7 adammcintyre has been a member since 4/7/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 53
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 19/2/2014 at 19:02

Laos is 30 days now. Funny how that guy thought u were serious lol

#8 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by AbigailatPenhandInk on 19/2/2014 at 23:16 TF writer

I think you could safely see all there is to see in Cambodia in a couple of hours!

Cambodian visa on arrival is for 30 days (and you can extend for another month). All you need is $20 and two passport photos. Or you can buy an e-visa online before you travel and avoid potential 'admin charges' at the border.

#9 AbigailatPenhandInk has been a member since 9/11/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 179
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.