Southeast Asia forum

3 weeks in SE Asia in July

• marwe

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2014

Hi everyone!

Me and my boyfriend is planning a trip to SE Asia this summer and we would really appreciate some advice as where to go and how to plan the time. Our main destination would be Thailand, we think, but we are also quite interested in Cambodia and Angkor Wat. The things we want to include in this trip is: Some kind of jungle experience/hike, visiting temples/ruins and also a fair bit of relaxing on a beach!

I've been to Thailand several times before but never to Cambodia. It is my experience that the weather in this region can be a bit problematic during the summer, but I've only had good experiences on islands like Railey and Pha Ngan. Is there any other spots with similar conditions?

Thanks for any and all input on how to make this trip a memorable one!

#1 Posted: 3/3/2014 - 15:56

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Whose summer? Can you post what months of the year you're looking at as summer is at different times of the year depending on where you at!

Weather aside, a typical trip of Thailand then the Cambodian island then Phnom Penh and Siem Reap (for Angkor ) then back to Thailand is a popular route.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 3/3/2014 - 16:12

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Topic heading says "July"

Ive been in June/July a number of times. Weather is pretty good. Koh Chang is a nice big island with some jungle. Prices are cheap that time of year and I recommend ChaiChet Resort or KB Resort. Both excellent value low season. Easy to spend 5-10 nights on this island and their are other islands nearby you can visit on daytrip or catch a speedboat and move.

Railay isn't an island btw.

#3 Posted: 3/3/2014 - 21:30

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ahh ops, missed that. Thanks

July won't be great weatherwise from a beach point of view. Thailand's Andaman coast will be quite wet and stormy as will the Cambodian islands. July is Ko Chang's second wettest month of the year (after August), though, you never know, you might get lucky. AT least the prices will be lower.

Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan and Ko Tao in the gulf of Thaialnd all see very good weather in July, so perhaps look at heading there then back to Bangkok to head to Angkor Wat (which is great in wet season) would work well.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 3/3/2014 - 21:46

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I must have been lucky 10 yrs in a row cause i get good weather in june july.

I dont understand all the rain fears. Ocean is wet too.

#5 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 04:59

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Weather-and-climate.com says sept and oct are the wettest mths for koh chang

Other websites say august is the worst

Ive never had any probs in june or july. Not once had a tour cancelled nor rough seas. Limited rain at night or morning, not much at all during the days. Mostly hot and sunny.

The whole weather thing is massively overdone by people who arent actually going that time of year. But thats good cause the beaches arent crowded and prices are halved. Sweet.

#6 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 05:09

• letsgothere

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2014

Cambodia exceeded my expectations when we went last summer. We went and toured Angkor Wat and stayed in a great guesthouse called Tanei Guesthouse which was right near the night markets. We were able to keep to our budget more easily in Cambodia than we were in Thailand (way cheaper!) If you want to take a trek and see some amazing sites head out to pnomh kulle...waterfalls, a bit of a hike and great scenery!

#7 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 19:34

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

phnom kulen i think u mean

#8 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 19:46

• marwe

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2014

Wow, thanks for the advice so far! Just keep it coming ;)

#9 Posted: 5/3/2014 - 14:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
5 Weeks in SE Asia in July - looking for feedback ... By Dorotich on 5 Mar 2014 7 749 7 Mar 2014