Southeast Asia forum

5 Weeks in SE Asia in July - looking for feedback

• Dorotich

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2014

Hi Everyone;
    My wife and I are planning a 5-week journey through SE Asia with our two children (ages 20 & 22) this July. We are veteran travellers, having taken month-long family trips on 3 occasions (Canadian maritimes, France/Italy, Greece/Turkey) and experienced wilderness backpackers. This will be our first visit to SE Asia and we would really love to get an overview of the region by visiting Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam (we fly into Bangkok and out of Hanoi). I have been scouring the Travelfish website and forums looking for insights from regional experts in order to build a workable itinerary.

Originally we had planned to utilize diverse means of transport (buses, trains, slow-boats) but on further reflection, I am not sure that my wife's susceptibility to motion sickness (exacerbated by the heat and humidity) would make this a very pleasant experience. We have decided (for better or worse) to mainly fly from point to point and base our explorations from some key centres. We love the idea of spending numerous days in one area to get at least a small sense of the people and the locale. I am worried that perhaps I have planned too much and would greatly appreciate hearing from those of you with first-hand experience.

Have I given too much time to one region or not enough to another? Do I have a reasonable mix between relaxing beach time, more adventurous trekking, and cultural activities? Is there too much time in the big cities? Is there something we should drop?

Bangkok - 3 nights ---> Fly to Koh Samui
    Koh Pha Ngan - 4 nights ---> Fly to Chiang Mai
    Chiang Mai - 5 nights ---> Fly to Luang Prebang
    Luang Prebang - 4 nights ---> Fly to Siem Reap
    Siem Reap - 3 nights ---> Bus to Phnom Penh
    Phnom Penh - 3 nights ---> Bus to Ho Chi Minh
    Ho Chi Minh - 3 nights ---> Fly to Da Nang
    Hoi An - 4 nights ---> Fly to Hanoi
    Hanoi - 5 nights (including 2D/1N Halong Bay cruise)

#1 Posted: 5/3/2014 - 21:51

• Advertisement

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

At the end of the day I can not advise you on the ballance you must prioritise but it does look as if you have a lot of time in the big cities and not much time to enjoy any trecking

#2 Posted: 6/3/2014 - 05:54

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

You will need to buy visas for 3 countries which adds to expense plus all the flights.

I would stick to 2 countries and visit some smaller places. Too many cities imo and too much jumping around.

#3 Posted: 6/3/2014 - 09:00

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

A few thoughts:

Bangkok - 3 nights ---> Fly to Koh Samui
    Koh Pha Ngan - 4 nights ---> Fly to Chiang Mai

With the above you've got half a day (more or less) from Bkk hotel to Samui and then another few hours to Ko Pha Ngan , then same again to get back north to Chiang Mai. I'd drop Ko Pha Ngan and stay on Samui, or if you just want some easy beach time, go to Ko Samet which is reachable by bus from Bangkok and is find for 2-3 days of lolling on the beach.

Chiang Mai - 5 nights ---> Fly to Luang Prebang
    Luang Prebang - 4 nights ---> Fly to Siem Reap

Unless you're planning on trekking from Chiang Mai (which I wouldn't recommend) I'd change this and do 4 nights in Chiang Mai and 4 in Luang Prabang

And I'd give the spare night to Siem Reap.

Siem Reap - 3 nights ---> Bus to Phnom Penh

Given how much flying you're already doing, either fly this or go for a two day/one night tour that will take you through a bit of the Delta.

Ho Chi Minh - 3 nights ---> Fly to Da Nang
    Hoi An - 4 nights ---> Fly to Hanoi
    Hanoi - 5 nights (including 2D/1N Halong Bay cruise)

Above looks fine.

As has been pointed out above, you've covering an awful lot of territory in a very short time, and if it was me, I'd drop a country (Laos) and slow down a bit.

But it is doable.

More questions, ask away :-)

#4 Posted: 6/3/2014 - 10:09

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It ain't my style, but everyone ain't me.

#5 Posted: 7/3/2014 - 13:30

• Dorotich

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2014

Thanks for the replies so far. It has been just the nudge we needed to give a re-think to our plans and focus on fewer regions. Here is Version 2 of the itinerary, which is clearly a work in progress.

somtam2000 - I would love to hear your suggestions about the best way to explore the Chiang Mai region. We definitely want to get out into nature and traipse about in the jungle from whichever jumping-off point suits it best.

Bangkok - 3 nights ---> Fly to Chiang Mai
    Chiang Mai Region - 6 nights ---> Siem Reap
    Siem Reap - 4 nights ---> Bus to Phnom Penh
    Ho Chi Minh - 2 nightsMekong Delta (2 nights in Can Tho and explore on our own OR 2-day organized bicycle tour from HCMC???)----> Fly to Dalat
    Dalat - 3 nights (explore Nat'l Park) ---> Fly to Danang
    Hoi An - 4 nights ---> Bus or Train to HueHue - 3 nights ---> Fly or overnight train to HanoiHanoi - 4 nights (including 2D/1N Halong Bay cruise)

#6 Posted: 7/3/2014 - 17:38

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, that looks a bit more sensible :-)

While Chiang Mai was northern Thailand's first real "trekking centre" any trekking you do from there today is going to involve a lot of transport and, most likely, a heavily touristed experience. But you have six nights, so what I'd do is spend 2 or three nights in Chiang Mai doing stuff like visiting Doi Sethep, the many temples, the markets and shopping etc etc etc See here for a bazillion ideas . What I'd then do is travel north for an hour or so and spend the balance of your time in Chiang Dao -- from where there is plenty of possibilities, some great places to stay and it's generally a lovely little spot. Another option would be Soppong but that is a bit further afield.

Some more informatioon on trekking in the north is here and here.

For your Mekong Delta part - bear in mind there are plenty of 2 day/3 day tours you can do that will take you overland from Phnom Penh to Saigon. A little touristy, but you'll get to see the Delta and some of them pass through Can Tho -- that could save you some time.

I'd be inclined to shave a day off Phnom Penh and give it to Hanoi, but that's just personal preference.

Hope that helps.

#7 Posted: 7/3/2014 - 18:39

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

To be honest, I would consider dropping Phnom Penh altogether and fly from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City. I agree with others that you have a lot of cities in your itinerary.

Considering motion sickness of your wife she will be grateful you take out two 6+ hour busrides. Especially the road SR to PP is not in great condition.And while Phnom Penh is a great and interesting city/capital it isn't on the same level as Chiang Mai, Luang Prabang, Hoi An and Hanoi. The time you safe you could add to some of your other destinations or add Sapa in northern Vietnam.
    I reckon Sapa would be a great addition if it wasn't for the travel to it. But if your wife can handle a sleeper train that would be my choice given that you both love the outdoors. The cooler climate will be welcome as well.

#8 Posted: 7/3/2014 - 22:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 weeks in SE Asia in July ... By marwe on 3 Mar 2014 8 570 5 Mar 2014
Feedback Hanoi-Halong Bay july 2014 ... By teeterouge on 6 Aug 2014 0 476 6 Aug 2014