Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

3 weeks in Vietnam and Thailand

Posted by astrolab on 6/3/2014 at 02:51

Hello everybody,

First of all, please excuse myself for the mistakes, because English is not my first language.

Last October, I travelled to Vietnam and Cambodia and I really enjoyed my trip, so I decided to go back in Southeast Asia this spring. During my last trip, I arrived in Ho Chi Minh city, stayed for about 1 week in the southern part of Vietnam (mostly Ho Chi Minh and Mekong delta) and then crossed the border to go in Cambodia.

This time, I would like to visit the Northern part of Vietnam (my friends told me I really need to go there) and a bit of Thailand also. I just don't know if my itinerary is realistic. My trip length is 3 weeks, from April 12th to May 2nd 2014.

I plan to arrive on the night of Saturday April 12th in Hanoi . I want to go in Sapa, for a trek, and then go to Ha Long Bay. My friends said I should really go to Hoi An , so I would take a bus (or a boat?) to go south to visit this town, and then head to Ho Chi Minh to take the plane with a low cost company. Then, I would spend some time in Bangkok and, maybe if I have time, do a trek in Chiang Mai, and then come back to Bangkok and take the plane back to Canada on May 2nd.

Is it realistic? Is Hoi An really a must see or I could just skip this part and travel from Hanoi to Bangkok? Because it's seems pretty loaded to me...

Thank you very much for your help. This is very appreciated.

#1 astrolab has been a member since 6/3/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by amnicoll on 6/3/2014 at 05:33

Hoi An is great (albeit touristy) but it does not really make sense to go so far out of your way - read up on the place and make up your own mind.

I would spend more time in the North of Vietnam and head round to Dien Bien Phu and forget Thailand with this timescale

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 616

Posted by Grunberg on 11/3/2014 at 00:05

Hoi An is great because street foods here is cheap and tasty. Residents here are so frienldy, you may search key words for more information but do not miss it.

#3 Grunberg has been a member since 3/3/2014. Posts: 20

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 11/3/2014 at 06:30

Forget Chiang Mai. Just do Bangkok and vietnam. Time flies on the road. Do thailand more next time.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.