Southeast Asia forum

3 weeks in Vietnam and Thailand

• astrolab

Joined Travelfish
    6th March, 2014

Hello everybody,

First of all, please excuse myself for the mistakes, because English is not my first language.

Last October, I travelled to Vietnam and Cambodia and I really enjoyed my trip, so I decided to go back in Southeast Asia this spring. During my last trip, I arrived in Ho Chi Minh city, stayed for about 1 week in the southern part of Vietnam (mostly Ho Chi Minh and Mekong delta) and then crossed the border to go in Cambodia.

This time, I would like to visit the Northern part of Vietnam (my friends told me I really need to go there) and a bit of Thailand also. I just don't know if my itinerary is realistic. My trip length is 3 weeks, from April 12th to May 2nd 2014.

I plan to arrive on the night of Saturday April 12th in Hanoi . I want to go in Sapa, for a trek, and then go to Ha Long Bay. My friends said I should really go to Hoi An , so I would take a bus (or a boat?) to go south to visit this town, and then head to Ho Chi Minh to take the plane with a low cost company. Then, I would spend some time in Bangkok and, maybe if I have time, do a trek in Chiang Mai, and then come back to Bangkok and take the plane back to Canada on May 2nd.

Is it realistic? Is Hoi An really a must see or I could just skip this part and travel from Hanoi to Bangkok? Because it's seems pretty loaded to me...

Thank you very much for your help. This is very appreciated.

#1 Posted: 6/3/2014 - 02:51

• Advertisement

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Hoi An is great (albeit touristy) but it does not really make sense to go so far out of your way - read up on the place and make up your own mind.

I would spend more time in the North of Vietnam and head round to Dien Bien Phu and forget Thailand with this timescale

#2 Posted: 6/3/2014 - 05:33

• Grunberg

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2014

Hoi An is great because street foods here is cheap and tasty. Residents here are so frienldy, you may search key words for more information but do not miss it.

#3 Posted: 11/3/2014 - 00:05

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Forget Chiang Mai. Just do Bangkok and vietnam. Time flies on the road. Do thailand more next time.

#4 Posted: 11/3/2014 - 06:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.