Southeast Asia forum

2.5 weeks SE Asia, but where?

• summerfield

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2014

Hi all,

we're looking for the right destination in SE Asia for 2.5 weeks, doesn't matter when exactly. SE Asia because we live relatively nearby at the moment.

Included in this we need about a week of resting on a beach: small scale accommodations and a few places to eat out, not highrises, lots of traffic and party. Water suitable for swimming and snorkeling.

Sightseeing part: potentially by public transport, maybe better by private driver. Not too long distances and the itinerary not too hectic. We're interested in varied landscapes (mountains, or volcanic features would be nice), old temples or other archaeological sites.

So, where does that bring us?
    We've only been to Sri Lanka before.
    Indonesia? Bali certainly looks too touristy, Java has lots to see, but distances seem very large and nice beaches are far away from sights.
    Malaysia seems to be lacking the historical bit (yes, I know there's Georgetown and Malaka, but other than that?). We might fly to Singapore to take the train to KL during a shorter trip another time.
    Thailand is an option, maybe in combination with Siam Rep, but we're worried about the situation in Bangkok, which we really want to visit.
    Philippines: small beachy places, but is there more culture than Manila?
    Myanmar, Vietnam: what about distances?

Argh!

Any suggestions?

#1 Posted: 9/3/2014 - 04:39

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Two possibilities jump to mind. The first would be the Cambodia and Angkor Wat option you mention above. You could hang out in Siem Reap for several days and then work your way through Phnom Penh and down to the coast, where you could either hang out at Cambodian beaches or work your way across the border for Thai beaches. Which Thai beach area we'd recommend would depend on the time of year.

The second, and perhaps better option - given what you've written above, is Indonesia. Start off in Yogyakarta and spend up to a week enjoying the city and the two large ancient temple complexes there. From Yogya you could work your way overland through Java and move quickly across Bali to Lombok. Lombok has a good volcano with treks available, and the Gili Islands could be your low-key beach getaway. If you prefer, you could even fly directly from Yogya to Lombok, visit the volcano, and finish out your trip on the Gilis.

Those are at least some ideas to get you started. Good luck.

#2 Posted: 9/3/2014 - 18:53

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Thai beaches r best may to oct. Cheap prices and far less people.

Check out koh chang. Can visit cambodia from there too.

Trang and krabi in southern thailand r good too and not too touristy.

Phuket and samui r touristy like bali.

#3 Posted: 9/3/2014 - 19:27

• summerfield

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2014

Thanks for your answers.

Some interesting ideas! Thailand/Cambodia have the advantage of very short flight times and lots to see. The flight to Yogya would still take 13 hours, thanks to a long stopover in Jakarta. But the Gilis and/or Lombok do sound interesting.

If I knew Thailand would be relatively quiet then my itinerary would look something like this: go up north for the ancient cities, Angkor Wat potentially by plane, resting somewhere (Koh Chang is not really laid back anymore, is it?) and a few nights in Bangkok. I know it's still a crazy travel, but with a few nights at fixed locations it looks doable.

I'm googling around but am still uncertain. What about Vietnam (north or south) or Myanmar? At least for the latter the main sights seem to be focussed in one region. For some reason I cannot find much about Vietnam even though I've seen a docu series (on food, in case you wonder) a while ago and thought: hey, that looks really great.

#4 Posted: 10/3/2014 - 04:52

• Grubert

Click here to learn more about Grubert
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2014

I take it that you think events in the Ukraine are being replicated in Thailand?

#5 Posted: 10/3/2014 - 05:57

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Koh chang is very laid back.

#6 Posted: 10/3/2014 - 06:59

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

17 nights isnt much. Time flies so just pick 3 to 4 places.

#7 Posted: 10/3/2014 - 07:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.