Southeast Asia forum

Traveling around SEA from mid Jan til mid Feb ( 1 - 1.5 Months) Any Advice?

• Caprizant

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2014

Hi Guys

I'm looking at travelling around parts of SEA from the Middle of January til the Middle of February. I was originally looking at only doing Vietnam (Going from Hanoi to Saigon) but I've been told this isn't wise around this time because of the new year festival, so I'm having a look at other options, whilst I would love to go to Vietnam I'm now thinking about a round trip from Bangkok into Laos (Maybe Cambodia if there was enough time?) and then back to Bangkok.

I'm a student so am wanting to do this cheaply as possible, so would anyone have any ideas how much I would need to save and budget?

Could anyone give any advice or even recommend a good trip that wil allow us to get intrepid and see some spectacular things?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 11/3/2014 - 11:39

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

I assume you're talking about 2015?

Tet in 2015 is 19 February, so it sounds like you'd miss most of it anyway. The pre-Tet travel busy period starts a few days before, maybe up to a week, but this doesn't mean you can't enjoy your vacation then. Just pre-book any trains/long distance buses you plan on taking during the busy period. Probably a good idea to pre-book your hotel then too, especially if you're going to be in a place that's popular with Vietnamese tourists.

So if your heart is set on Vietnam, you can still enjoy it at Tet.

As to budget, you'll find lots of budget advice on this site - there's a search box on the Forum page. Assuming you're travelling solo, a bare bones budget would be $20 per day, but that won't get you any comforts or give you any money for drinking/partying (and isn't recommended for the fastidious). A more sensible basic budget is $30 per day. $40-50 per day and you can afford some mid-range hotels and more partying. These prices don't include your flights or insurance/visas. Like I said, tonnes of more detailed info is available on the site, so have a look.

#2 Posted: 13/3/2014 - 14:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Solo Traveling - 22 year old chick, 6-7 months - advice needed ... By katyesmith on 4 Jul 2010 3 3932 16 Apr 2013