Southeast Asia forum

Southeast asia in bycicle!

• Patriciomel-
    ende

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2014

I'm planning on doing the 4 country tour Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam on bicycle, do you think is a good idea? Do you have any advise?

#1 Posted: 11/3/2014 - 22:18

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Pedal hard. It's going to be a long trip. I never understood the attraction to this mode of transportion, but clearly it appeals to some. I think it beats the bus...

#2 Posted: 11/3/2014 - 23:42

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I wouldn't suggest to do it now or next month. Too hot and smoggy much of the region until rains start (June-ish). Best time for a bicycle tour would be November-February, relatively cool and dry. Get good maps, stay off the main roads as much as possible, allow plenty of time, hydrate like crazy, etc. Oh and don't bring camping gear like many cyclists mistakenly do - doesn't really work here. Stay in cheap guesthouses or some national parks have onsite tents. Happy planning.

#3 Posted: 12/3/2014 - 00:54

• Patriciomel-
    ende

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2014

Thank you for the advise. I wasn't counting to much in the heat problem, I was checking the temperature and is hot crazy. I think I would reconsider doing my trip on bicycle, since I am planning doing it on april.

#4 Posted: 12/3/2014 - 02:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

As Captain Bob alludes to in "stay off the main roads" Thais people in this region are poor drivers. Do not assume they are going to follow the rules of the road and definitely do not assume they are going to yield to bicycle drivers. Drivers here are careless and selfish and that's a generous description. At night there are a LOT of careless, selfish drunk drivers on the roads. Don't ride at night.

#5 Posted: 12/3/2014 - 04:05

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

A lot of main roads r boring with nothing much to see. I would think a smaller loop.like the udon nong khai loei loop would be better.

#6 Posted: 12/3/2014 - 07:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.