Southeast Asia forum

4 Weeks in SEA July/August, £1400?

• KMaywood

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Hi everyone,

Looking to get a months solo travelling done in SEA, finishing in Hong Kong. I know its not the most ideal time of year but I work in a school so the summer holidays is the only time I can get off!
    My Original plan was to start in Bangkok and go through Laos, Vietnam then China but I've seen quite a few route ideas since then so im suffering with a bit of Travelling option overload and i'm not sure which one to take! the only restrictions I have is that I get to Hong Kong with a few days to spare so I can meet with my Brother who lives there and that I will have £1400 to spend once I get off the plane. Do-able?
    I'm an Outdoor educator with extensive experience navigating in Foreign/ Extreme terrain and conditions so I don't mind going way off the beaten track if its worth it.

If anyone could point out any good routes to take through any of the countries between Thailand and HKG with that budget and give any tips when travelling through those areas, it would be much appreciated. Cheers!
    K

#1 Posted: 15/3/2014 - 06:59

• Advertisement

• miriam123

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2013
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 48

1 month is not long enough to travel through 4 countries. Just fly to Hong Kong at the end of your trip.
    The cost of a Chinese Visa is £60 for a English person and is not worth it for what could only be a few days. Have you booked flights yet? why not just fly to Beijing and see some of China and its easy to get to Hong Kong from there. China is amazing. If not you could just land n Bangkok and go north Thailand for a week then cross to Laos and fly from there to HongKong. Really would not go through China for only a few days not worth the hassle of the border atall. China is much less visited than Thailand.

"I'm an Outdoor educator with extensive experience navigating in Foreign/ Extreme terrain" - Thailand and Laos are very well travelled and so unfortunately this skill is not very useful.
    :)

#2 Posted: 19/4/2014 - 09:11

• KMaywood

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Yeah I was half thinking that. Havent booked the flights yet so a flight in the middle could be a good shout actually. Do you still reckon thats do able with the £1400?
    Only threw that in just in case someone said there is an amazing 4 day trek or something like that.
    Thanks a lot for your time and help!
    K

#3 Posted: 21/4/2014 - 05:51

• miriam123

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2013
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Yes I think so, if you look you can fly from Thailand to Hong Kong for less that £100 if your flexible with dates. Just think about where you want to go because you can fly from north Thailand, Bangkok or Phuket to Hong Kong. I am only saying fly from Thailand because its cheaper than flying from Cambodia/laos etc.
    If you were to say go into Cambodia it would be worth traveling back to Bangok to fly.

#4 Posted: 21/4/2014 - 09:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam in 3 weeks July/August... too many things! What would you do/have you done? ... By Teschiop on 27 Jun 2013 1 2104 28 Jun 2013
Traveling SEA for approximately 5 weeks July-August 2014. Looking for advice :) ... By dupree on 3 Apr 2014 37 2714 23 May 2014
Thre weeks in Krabi area - July and August 2007 ... By therese on 16 Aug 2007 0 4440 16 Aug 2007
Thailand/Laos 3rd July-6th August Full moon Party - 3rd July ... By lydmac on 30 Jan 2012 8 2186 13 Apr 2012