Southeast Asia forum

SEA advice - narrowing down our destinations

• jrdnly

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2014

Hi - I've been browsing these forums and using many of the travelfish recommended itineraries to help research the SEA portion (~4 weeks) of our broader trip (~6 weeks). Currently, I've got a "long list" of destinations we're considering hitting in Cambodia/ Laos/ Northern Vietnam, but would love to poll this group for advice narrowing it down. For context, this sub-trip is sandwiched between a week in Singapore and a relaxing week in Bora Bora to end it all. Thus, we're okay running our batteries to completely empty while out in SEA! Timeframe is July/August.

Our goals for these 4 weeks are:
    1. To see as much diversity (sea/river side towns, scenery, trekking, culture, historic sites, temples, etc.) as possible - we get bored quickly with one spot and also don't need to see every temple in the area
    2. To "rough it" as much as we can tolerate - we've never 'backpacked' and so we want to do it before we have kids
    3. To just get away from our busy lives and go on an adventure in SEA!

Restrictions: Our inbound flight is to Phnom Penh, Cambodia and our outbound leg is from Da Nang, Vietnam. We have 4 weeks between flights. We are prepared and prefer to do mostly overland travel (for the experience), but will fly to avoid really, really painful overland travel.

Having said all this, we are heeding many people's advice to not try and overdo it and so I'm coming to this group hoping to get feedback on what NOT to see. Obviously, if you have any strong recommendations that I've missed, please do share those, but please do also suggest what to drop as we're hoping to get to a shorter list, not a longer one! :)

Here's the "long list", which by my uneducated estimation is probably more than twice as many as we could reasonably see in 4 weeks. The order is roughly how we'd travel it if we had all the time in the world - which we don't of course! (*)s indicate my current hypothesis for places to see. I'm a bit worried that I've landed with all the bigger towns/cities and am missing the beauty of the area. Please beat it up!

*Phnom Penh, Cambodia
    *Siem Reap, Cambodia
    *Kratie, Cambodia
    Muang Khong, Laos
    Champasak, Laos
    Pakse, Laos
    *Savannakhet, Laos
    Tha Khaek, Laos
    *Vientiane, Laos
    Vang Vieng, Laos
    *Luang Prabang, Laos
    *Muang Ngoi, Laos
    Muang Khua, Laos
    Dien Bien Phu, Laos
    Sapa, Vietnam
    *Hanoi, Vietnam
    *Ha Long Bay, Vietnam
    Hoi An, Vietnam
    *Da Nang, Vietnam

Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 18/3/2014 - 21:42

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I hate to break it to you, but this itinerary is insane. You have 19 travel days out of your 28 days available. Each travel day is a day largely shot where you are sitting on a bus doing nothing for hours on end. A few short hops like Savanakhet and Tha Kek are OK, but you've got some long ones in there too. Traveling from PP all the way through the Laos Panhandle and then through Northern Laos and into Vietnam is extremely long. Each time you move, you have to check out of a hotel, take some formm of transportation to the bus station or airport, travel that leg, then find a hotel at your destination. Even for short legs, you're eating half the day. For longer ones the day is completely shot. Most people regard the rule of thumb as 3 or more days at each destination. Otherwise what's the point in going there at all?

I would recommend you go to Siem Reap, PP and maybe a beach like Kep. When you're ready to leave Cambodia head to Saigon and work your way up to Danang.

#2 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 01:03

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As Madmac suggests, that is a decidedly ambitious timeline. If you were to drop in a couple of regional flights, it would save you quite a bit of time, but assuming you're sticking to ground transport, my first suggestion would be to drop Savannakhet and Tha Khaek. Then retime it as something like: (cumulative nights in brackets)

Arrive Phnom Penh 2 nights (2) bus/boat to
    Siem Reap 2 nights (4) bus to
    Kratie 1 night (5) bus to
    Muang Khong/Champasak 2 nights (7) bus to
    Pakse 1 night ( 8 ) bus to [ I would fly this leg ]
    Vientiane 2 nights (10) bus to
    Vang Vieng 2 nights (12) bus to
    Luang Prabang 3 nights (15) bus to
    Muang Ngoi 2 nights (17) boat to [ I would swap Muang Ngoi to Nong Kiaow ]
    Muang Khua 1 night (18) bus to
    Dien Bien Phu 1 nights (19) bus to
    Sapa 2 nights (21) train to
    Hanoi 3 nights (24) tour to
    Ha Long Bay 2 nights (26) via Hanoi, via Da Nang train to
    Hoi An 3 nights (29) bus to
    Da Nang 1 night exit

Now there is no way I'd recommend anyone actually do the above, but it is possible!

My advice would be to fly the legs I already mention, plus also drop Muang Ngoi, Muang Khua and Dien Bien Phu and fly from Luang Prabang to Hanoi (then do night train both ways to Sapa) that will free up 4-5 days which, with your current plan will largely be spent on the road.

You can no longer get the boat north from Luang Prabang to Nong Kiaow/Muang Ngoi due to dam construction, so that's another leg largely by van now.

Regarding travel time, some of the above legs (Siem Reap to Kratie, Muang Khua to DBP, Pakse to Vientiane for eg) are all full day trips.

Hope this helps - more questions, ask away :-)

#3 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 02:35

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

You might get bored in some towns but spending 10 hrs on a bus is far more boring.

I tend to spend 3 nights in smaller places and 5 to 10 nights in places that i like.

Pretty hard to get bored in bangkok or krabi with so many things to do.

#4 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 04:25

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

I am with leonard on this and certainly agree with the others that this is NOT a trip I would undertake in the time available even as ammended by Somtam

Dien Bien Phu is in Vietnam by the way

#5 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 06:33

• jrdnly

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2014

@MADMAC, @sotam2000, @LeonardCohen1, @amnicoll - Thanks for the quick responses. Much appreciated input.
    @sotam2000 - Thanks particularly to you for putting in the effort to create a revised itinerary. And for the heads-up on the dam construction between LP and DBP.

Totally agree with everyone, 19 out of 28 travel days is absurd and no one should try it. Certainly doesn't sound like a vacay to me and never crossed our minds. Our current plan envisions

#6 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 08:00

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

Thank for getting back. I would stick to 2 countries at most. perhaps spend a bit more time in cambodia and then fly up to hanoi (or even cross overland through the delta to HCM and fly to hanoi

#7 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 08:34

• jrdnly

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2014

Well that's strange, my response annoyingly got cut off.

Totally agree with everyone, 19 out of 28 travel days is absurd and no one should try it. Certainly doesn't sound like a vacay to me and never crossed our minds. Our current plan envisions 9 travel days out of 28 and I'm considering trying to cut that down further as well. Per my original note, any thoughts on just the bolded items (repasted below for convenience)? Worth swapping anything out or skipping anything?

*Phnom Penh, Cambodia
    *Siem Reap, Cambodia
    *Kratie, Cambodia
    *Savannakhet, Laos
    *Vientiane, Laos
    *Luang Prabang, Laos
    *Muang Ngoi, Laos
    *Hanoi, Vietnam
    *Ha Long Bay, Vietnam
    *Da Nang, Vietnam

#8 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 09:12

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

4 weeks isnt enough for 3 countries. Pick 1 or 2 max. If u like ruins do cambodia. If u like laid back pick laos.

I prefer beaches so i normally do thailand.

#9 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 09:23

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I would cut singapore down to 2 nights if u want more time for these others. Sing is dull.

#10 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 09:25

• Advertisement

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

this makes more sense. Savannakhet,is not the most exciting of places and you would not be likely to get there in a day from Kratie apart from overnight. There is a direct bus to Pakse from Kratie. I would be tempted to fly from Pakse to Luang Prabang and miss Vientainne

I do not know Muang Ngoi and transport links from Luang Prabang and on to Hanoi but it may be worth making an enquiry on this. An alternative might be to go from Luang Prabang to Hanoi via Dien Bien Phu and Sapa using the time saved by not going to vientaine but you will need to lookat this in a bit more detail because I am not upto date with the transport links on this route either

hope this helps

#11 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 09:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Fly from Siem Reap to Vientiane and you have a reasonable plan.

#12 Posted: 20/3/2014 - 04:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Advice on Cambodia destinations ... By Jehonna on 1 Feb 2011 8 3392 8 Feb 2011
4 weeks in SEA - destinations & Itinerary advice ... By samwise90 on 19 Oct 2010 1 3865 20 Oct 2010