Southeast Asia forum

Southeast Asia AND Europe within 7 months?

• mthawkins

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2014

I hope to travel a few areas in Europe within a month (3,000 USD budget) and Southeast Asia, North India, and Nepal for 6 months with 7,000 USD budget.

Travel starting in January landing in Bangkok.
    Does this sound reasonable? What's the best way to connect to EU from India/Bankok?

#1 Posted: 20/3/2014 - 09:11

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"What's the best way to connect to EU from India/Bankok?"

You heard of planes?

"Southeast Asia, North India, and Nepal for 6 months with 7,000 USD budget."

Doable if that doesn't include flights.

#2 Posted: 20/3/2014 - 09:21

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

He is probably asking where to connect from in the EU... I am not sure where would have the cheapest flights to SEA although Germany must be pretty reasonable as you see lots of Germans in SEA. Farecompare is a flight website you can see fares to multiple countries, could use that and search from Bangkok to see what places offer cheapest flights.

Depending where you are from 10,000 for those 7 months could potentially cover flights if you can find cheap flights but it would be a safer bet to expect to pay extra for your flights.

#3 Posted: 20/3/2014 - 10:10

• felipedatt

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2012

Me and my wife traveled for 6 months on US$ 11,000. Visited Southeast Asia and Eastern Europe, 3 months each. You can do it if you don't drink a lot

#4 Posted: 20/3/2014 - 10:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The budget is doable, but I wouldn't do it. I'd bag Europe and cut my time here to five months. That gives you a reasonable 60,000 baht a month (using thai currency) or 2,000 USD. Even then, that's not a huge budget. You have to factor in things like transportation, visas, ancellary expenses. Then if you want to do something that costs money (like diving, or renting or motorbike or whatever) you have a little flex in your budget for that.

As felipedatt alludes too, booze and women are budget eaters, so you'll have to take it easy on that regard because even with 2,000 a month, you won't be living high on the hog (but you'll live OK).

#5 Posted: 20/3/2014 - 12:35

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

You can get by on 1,000 a month... No need for 2,000 a month unless you are going to stay in higher end hotels, take private transport everywhere and do something like a diving course once a month. All in all it comes down to the individual though, are you willing to sleep in dorms/cheap rooms, eat street food etc.

Your budgets are doable depending on how you like to travel and whether or not you are including flights in these budgets. In south east asia you can get by on $30 a day and still see/do a decent amount of stuff, heck there are people that even aim for $20-25 but I personally would definitely not aim that low(and I consider myself a budget traveller). That said I would recommend having $40-50 a day saved up and then you can aim for less and decide if you are willing to make the sacrifices to travel cheaper(little hot water, air con, partying, fancy restaurants etc).

#6 Posted: 20/3/2014 - 12:51

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Higher end hotels? No. MM is right. Sure u can get bye on less but holidays should be fun not penny pinching the whole way.

$30 barely covers a room on some islands.

Street food can be fun but everyday is boring.

#7 Posted: 20/3/2014 - 19:07

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Greer - as I said, can you do it? Yes. Would I do it? No. I'm on vacation to have a good time. I'm not on vacation to see how little I can spend on my budget. This thought process is related to the idea that I should pack in as many locations as possible within the days i have available. The problem with it is that you haven't left yourself any money to actually DO anything. You can wander around, go back to your cheap ugly room, read a book and eat cheap food a few times a day. What's the point? That might be OK once in a while, but it's hardly a vacation.

#8 Posted: 20/3/2014 - 23:03

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

We have had this discussion before... Some of us travel for the sake of travelling, not for the sake of having a vacation. Some of us also like to experience a little bit more of how the locals live instead of wasting money on western comforts.

As I said to the OP, I would aim for higher but once out there he can decide what budget he thinks is good. My belief is that he will end up aiming a lot closer to $40 a day or less just due to the fact that he is planning on travelling for a long period of time(long term travellers rarely waste money). I honestly would feel like a pig if I tried to spend $65 a day as you guys suggested, heck there were days I felt guilty spending $30.

#9 Posted: 21/3/2014 - 01:00

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Greer
    Who's kidding who here. Almost no one who "travels" today is interesting in how the locals live. Certainly not in emulating them. Observing them like they would observe animals in a zoo maybe. But if they were really interested in how the "locals" live, then they wouldn't be travelling around. They would stop someplace for a year or so and stay there and make friends with them and learn their language and so forth. If they didn't have the luxury of that time, they would stay as long as they could. But they don't do that. They wander from place to place, socialize with each other, and their contact with the locals consists of trying to order food from wait staff and checking in and out of hotels.

"western comforts"??? I find that one a touch comical. All my Thai friends prefer "western comforts" when they travel. It's just called comfort. Look at Mukdahan, where I live. Almost all of the hotels have AC, wifi, hot water... and we don't have westerners in the hotels here. Maybe they make up 1%. Maybe.

Why would you feel like a pig if you spent 65 USD a day? First of all, there will be days when you spend less. But you will have days when you spend half that or more just on a visa or a chunk of that on a bus or a big chunk on plane fair. You have to plan for those outliers.

A night out can easily cost you 1,000 baht. Eat at a nice restaraunt, go to a decent club - boom, money gone. Bangkok and the Islands can get quite pricey very quickly.

Slumming it every day doesn't earn you some sort of brownie points. Why you would "feel like a pig" I don't know.

#10 Posted: 21/3/2014 - 01:55

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Bringing this back on track ...

@mthawkins: "I hope to travel a few areas in Europe within a month (3,000 USD budget) and Southeast Asia, North India, and Nepal for 6 months with 7,000 USD budget."

The Europe bit, no probs.

6 months in Southeast Asia, India and Nepal on $7k: Totally doable and the more of that 6 months you spend in India and Nepal, the easier it would be.

I can't help on the flight side of things - perhaps others who fly this route might chime in.

Cheers

#11 Posted: 21/3/2014 - 02:48

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Regarding flights, I find using a search engine like Skyscanner the best way to start researching flight options. I don't book through them - just find out who flies where direct (or maybe with one connection, if appropriate).

I THEN go to the individual airlines websites to finetune to the research, and boook.

#12 Posted: 21/3/2014 - 03:08

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Pretty easy to spend $65 on a room in bangkok or major islands.

Its quantity vs quality.

A lot of 20 something bps tend to aim at many places and cheap rooms thinking that they need to visit 100 towns otherwise they might miss something but doing that the miss the quality of a place cause they are spreading the money to thin.

#13 Posted: 21/3/2014 - 03:59

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Locals get dreadlocks and hangout in bp ghettos?

Local markets all over thailand rarely see any tourists. Bps only visit the farang touristy ones.

Even in krabi which has moderate tourism the local weekly food mkts which have good food only get a handful of farangs and the mkts r only 1 to 3km from a lot of hotels.

I dont think.staying in a cheap gh is anything like how a local.lives.

#14 Posted: 21/3/2014 - 04:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
12 months europe and Asia help!! ... By stacey9292 on 21 Jan 2014 4 563 23 Jan 2014
2.5 months in Southeast Asia ... By WillMcP on 11 Feb 2013 2 1949 13 Feb 2013
3 Months In Southeast Asia ... By cn2011 on 1 Jul 2011 4 4569 8 Jul 2011
Best time to travel around Southeast Asia for 6 months? ... By Nibsynibsy on 11 Apr 2013 6 3209 20 Oct 2014
Solo Traveller Southeast Asia Mid Nov 09 for around 7 months ... By kelsey09 on 25 Aug 2009 18 3963 16 Jul 2012