Southeast Asia forum

Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos

• KatieWalker

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2014

I have booked two weeks in SE Asia and am hoping to see the best bits of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. I fly in to Ho Chi Minh and out of Hanoi and want to do a mixture of beach, culture and nightlife. I'm up for lots of flights and overnight trains to minimise travel time but have no idea what the best route would be, and if it's feasible to do a mixture of all 3 countries.

A rough idea is:
    Ho Chi Minh
    Siem Reap
    Phnom Penh
    Mui Ne
    Nha Trang
    Vientiane
    Luang Prabang
    Hanoi
    Would be amazing to hear if anyone has any thoughts on these places, or a better itinerary and if this would be at all feasible.

#1 Posted: 6/4/2014 - 14:21

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

With only two weeks I would stick to Vietnam, you'll get a great mix of beach, culture and nightlife all there. Hanoi a couple nights, Ha Long Bay a couple nights, night train to Hue a couple nights, explore Da Nang /Hoi'an a couple nights - fly from Da Nang to Phu Quoc (available?) a couple nights on the beach, ferry and then overland to Can Tho a couple nights to see the delta, end in HCMC a couple nights . . . I think even that is too much to do in 2 weeks.

I understand the idea of wanting to see more while you're in SE Asia (for the first and maybe last time in a while?) but the above recommendations give you plenty of beach, culture and nightlife. If you absolutely must see Siem Reap I'd have considered re-booking your flight so that it is both in and out of HCMC. That way you can fly into there, catch a flight up to Siem Reap, come back down to Phnom Penh, then back into HCMC from there, a quick flight over to Phu Quoc for the beaches.

If you insist on leaving Vietnam and re-entering, make sure to get a double entry visa for your convenience.

#2 Posted: 7/4/2014 - 01:38

• miriam123

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2013
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Just stick to Vietnam totally agree with Caseyprich, you will be rushed enough time to see Vietnam alone. Vietnam is so varied you can get everthing there,

#3 Posted: 19/4/2014 - 09:00

• Beerman

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2014

I just want to ad a few things for Vietnam. Don't miss all the microbreweries there.. Almost 40 in vietnam, 10 in saigon and 25 in Hanoi. See them at www.beervn.com and there are also a few ones on Cambodja and i heard that you can get Ale and ipa there which is very rare in these countries.

#4 Posted: 21/4/2014 - 13:15

• Ninhtrang21-

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

I think you should complete one country then start to another one. Here is my itinerary for example: Luang PraBang-Vientian-Hanoi- Mui Ne -Nha Trang- Ho Chi Minh-Phnom Penh- Siemriep. There are buses from Luang Prabang to Ha Noi, and from Ho Chi Minh to Phnompenh. By the way, i'm free now and I can help you discover Mui Ne if you want.

#5 Posted: 7/5/2014 - 23:50

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

3 visas and 3 countries in 2 weeks is contiki like madness. Totally unfun. With 2 weeks u can see a fraction of 1 country. Pick 1 country that interests u the most

#6 Posted: 8/5/2014 - 00:10

• KatieWalker

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2014

Hi all

Thank you for your thoughts! I had a great trip and thought i'd share my itinerary in case anyone is looking for a similar take on Vietnam. I wanted a mixture of culture, relaxing and nightlife and after a few trips to SE Asia have decided that generally I prefer smaller towns and islands to cities so that would shape future trips.

Sat 19 - Mon 21 April Ho Chi Minh (then overnight bus to Dalat)
    Tue 22 - Thu 24 April Easy rider tour that took us around Dalat, Lak Lake, Boun Ma Thou and Nha Trang (then overnight bus to Hoi An )
    Fri 25 - Sun 27 April Hoi An (then flight, bus and boat to Cat Ba)
    Mon 28 - Thu 1 May Cat Ba including Tulong Bay trip (quieter and nicer than Halong)
    Thu 1 - Fri 2 May Hanoi

If anyone wants tips on sights or accommodation in these areas then let me know!

#7 Posted: 8/5/2014 - 15:18

• shalinishine

Joined Travelfish
    18th April, 2014

You can also travel to India contact us for Holiday in India and Kashmir Packages.

#8 Posted: 9/5/2014 - 06:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.