Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

What happens if you miss your AirAsia flight?

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/4/2014 at 03:46 admin

Having just missed by Bali - Kuala Lumpur and connecting Kuala Lumpur to Kota Bharu flights (I thought they were tomorrow morning, but they were this morning), thought would be useful to inform you all that in situations like this (and unlike full service carriers) if you have purchased a return ticket (as I had) the return legs are still valid. On many full service carriers, if you miss the first leg you're tagged as noshow and the entire ticket is invalidated.

So the flights you miss are lost forever, but the return legs are still valid.

Could be worse ;-)

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 16/4/2014 at 06:06

AA sells individual legs not return tickets. They are all stand alone unless its a fly thru service.

Return is still valid on full service. Just need to contact airlines..u have already paid so they cant strip the service by law without a partial refund minus a fee.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 16/4/2014 at 06:39

Why delete my post?

Bizarre

#3 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/4/2014 at 07:04 admin

You reported the post - and as it seemed you hadn't read my post, i figured you wanted it removed. so I did.

Will reinstate it in a sec.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 16/4/2014 at 07:17

Fat fingers and phone makes.it tricky to type

#5 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 16/4/2014 at 07:23

Smart phones r good for reminders. I set a reminder for december for a tour i need to book next yr in advance. Turtle hatching thing that gets fully booked early.

Id do set a reminder 48 hrs in advance if u fly a lot and get dates mixed up.

#6 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by busylizzy on 16/4/2014 at 13:22

Use the TripIt app - it's handy for stuff like that. You can forward your confirmation emails for flight and hotel bookings and it keeps a record of everything, sends reminders, etc. I think you can also get it to scan your inbox so you don't have to remember to forward them on but I personally don't like that. I just set up a forwarding rule in my inbox to handle it.

I was going to give you some stick about missing the flight - but then I figured that karma would come to haunt me if I did. I've been lucky so far to not screw up any of my flight or hotel bookings - but I reckon the day will come when I show up somewhere a day late!

Leonard, not sure why you think there aren't return flights with Air Asia? There is very clearly a one-way or return option when booking.

#7 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 16/4/2014 at 19:35

Liz,

AA sells return flights but they are separate legs and ticketed as 2 independent flights. Prices are individual based.

Full service return flights are combined into a single ticket and a return booking is cheaper than 2 individual flights.

If you book a return ticket to Thailand with Thai airways they even throw in a free domestic leg. You can fly into Bangkok then catch another flight to CM for the same price.

Discount airlines sell all their flights as individual flights. There is no package deal.

#8 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by busylizzy on 17/4/2014 at 14:07

OK, so I just learned something new - didn't realise that they were ticketed separately. I've never actually booked a return flight on AA but also saw the Return option.

Mind you, I didn't realise that full-service airlines can cancel a return leg if you miss your flight, either. Guess I should read the fine-print some day.

#9 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.