Southeast Asia forum

What happens if you miss your AirAsia flight?

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Having just missed by Bali - Kuala Lumpur and connecting Kuala Lumpur to Kota Bharu flights (I thought they were tomorrow morning, but they were this morning), thought would be useful to inform you all that in situations like this (and unlike full service carriers) if you have purchased a return ticket (as I had) the return legs are still valid. On many full service carriers, if you miss the first leg you're tagged as noshow and the entire ticket is invalidated.

So the flights you miss are lost forever, but the return legs are still valid.

Could be worse ;-)

#1 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 03:46

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

AA sells individual legs not return tickets. They are all stand alone unless its a fly thru service.

Return is still valid on full service. Just need to contact airlines..u have already paid so they cant strip the service by law without a partial refund minus a fee.

#2 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 06:06

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Why delete my post?

Bizarre

#3 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 06:39

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You reported the post - and as it seemed you hadn't read my post, i figured you wanted it removed. so I did.

Will reinstate it in a sec.

#4 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 07:04

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Fat fingers and phone makes.it tricky to type

#5 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 07:17

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Smart phones r good for reminders. I set a reminder for december for a tour i need to book next yr in advance. Turtle hatching thing that gets fully booked early.

Id do set a reminder 48 hrs in advance if u fly a lot and get dates mixed up.

#6 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 07:23

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Use the TripIt app - it's handy for stuff like that. You can forward your confirmation emails for flight and hotel bookings and it keeps a record of everything, sends reminders, etc. I think you can also get it to scan your inbox so you don't have to remember to forward them on but I personally don't like that. I just set up a forwarding rule in my inbox to handle it.

I was going to give you some stick about missing the flight - but then I figured that karma would come to haunt me if I did. I've been lucky so far to not screw up any of my flight or hotel bookings - but I reckon the day will come when I show up somewhere a day late!

Leonard, not sure why you think there aren't return flights with Air Asia? There is very clearly a one-way or return option when booking.

#7 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 13:22

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Liz,

AA sells return flights but they are separate legs and ticketed as 2 independent flights. Prices are individual based.

Full service return flights are combined into a single ticket and a return booking is cheaper than 2 individual flights.

If you book a return ticket to Thailand with Thai airways they even throw in a free domestic leg. You can fly into Bangkok then catch another flight to CM for the same price.

Discount airlines sell all their flights as individual flights. There is no package deal.

#8 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 19:35

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

OK, so I just learned something new - didn't realise that they were ticketed separately. I've never actually booked a return flight on AA but also saw the Return option.

Mind you, I didn't realise that full-service airlines can cancel a return leg if you miss your flight, either. Guess I should read the fine-print some day.

#9 Posted: 17/4/2014 - 14:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.