Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Surprise trip for birthday, best weather late September.

Posted by Jadeknots on 17/5/2014 at 03:59

Hi. My hubby turns 60 in September and I want to surprise him with a week-long holiday. I am happy to have a tropical rainstorm every afternoon, if need be, but I don't want rain every day. (I sort of ruled out Georgetown in Malaysia for that reason) Our interests are street food, people watching, more street food. He's beer, I'm coffee. Not particularly interested in tourist packages, and really happy if our attempts at language are mis-interpreted and we get nothing like what we asked for. Flashpackers, I think -we only want hot water and a bed, (a loo is helpful too, I guess). Can anyone suggest a good place. We would fly to Kuala Lumpur as a jumping off point and continue from there. I'd prefer not to spend too long travelling, just get there and then sit back and enjoy. Beach is not necessary, nor is night life. Any suggestions please. To have fairly decent weather is probably the main consideration at this point.

#1 Jadeknots has been a member since 13/10/2013. Posts: 4
 Where has Jadeknots been? 

Posted by amnicoll on 19/5/2014 at 06:57

wherever you go rain is likely to be a problem but often as you say most days in the afternoon.

Food stalls, Penang and Singapore are two fantastic places but you could also check out the west coast (Kuantan/kota baru) most towns in Thailand also have excellent night markets (and cheaper beer)

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 635

Posted by Captain_Bob on 19/5/2014 at 10:08

For most of the region you've chosen peak rainy season, but it's not like it rains all the time. South of the equator, however, might be better for you. Given this and your other asks, Ubud on Bali springs to mind. Read-up: http://www.travelfish.org/location/indonesia/bali/bali/ubud

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,871

Posted by Jadeknots on 20/5/2014 at 20:21

Thank you. I will investigate Ubud a little more, and possibly Kota Bharu . We loved Rayong in Thailand, and Bangkok itself, especially Yaowarat Rd, but I wanted something else again.

#4 Jadeknots has been a member since 13/10/2013. Posts: 4
 Where has Jadeknots been? 

Posted by goonistik on 22/5/2014 at 00:42

There are signs that an El Nino is developing this year and an El Nino is associated with decreased rainfall in much of SEA. Much of Malaysia is already suffering from a drought. So there is a chance that September of 2014 will be drier than usual. If the El Nino develops, expect decreased precipitation from June 2014 to January 2015.

http://www.climate.gov/sites/default/files/IRI_ENSOimpactsmap_lrg.png

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/el-nino-may-be-back-in/1098666.html

#5 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.