Southeast Asia forum

Entering SEA - visa and forwarding ticket issues!

• abergz07

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2014

Hi all,

My partner and I are wanting to backpack and I see that NZ is under the Visa exemption rule with Thailand.
    My concern with that is if we flew into Bangkok, travelled to Vietnam and Cambodia for 6ish weeks and then entered Thailand again leaving with our return ticket out of Bangkok, is this accepted? As in - does the outward ticket you need in Thailand acceptedif it is after the 30 days allowance from the Visa? Also, if we were to fly to Hanoi from Bangkok would we need to then prove somehow that we are leaving Vietnam with an outward ticket?

I hope that makes sense! It is all very confusing with this no one way ticket thing in Asia.

Cheers,

Arna

#1 Posted: 18/5/2014 - 21:41

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Your main concern would be at the check-in desk leaving NZ, as airlines are required to ensure you have either a visa for Thailand or proof of onward air travel. Whether that proof needs to be within 30 days or not can vary on who you are dealing with, but in my experience NZ is one of the more strict countries in this regard. When in doubt, buy a cheap Air Asia flight (Bangkok-Hanoi) for within 30 days, print out the confirmation and it's problem solved. Don't worry about not having a flight out of Vietnam, not required, but be aware you'll need to arrange the Vietnam visa in advance. For example http://www.vietnamvisapro.com

#2 Posted: 19/5/2014 - 06:06

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

if buying a throw away ticket consider PP as may be cheaper than Hanoi but depending on airline you are flying with you might find it possible to book a stopover in Bangkok on a ticket to PP or Vietnam

#3 Posted: 19/5/2014 - 06:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Issues on entering Thailand ... By afix on 21 Nov 2011 3 868 22 Nov 2011
Entering Laos from Vietnam - Money Issues ... By lobstermage on 13 Apr 2007 5 5691 8 Apr 2009
Problems entering vietnam without a return ticket out of vietnam? ... By Matty161 on 19 Aug 2013 6 1736 29 Aug 2013
Quick Question: Do you get a full page visa upon entering Vietnam (Visa on Arrival in AP) ... By Sethlake on 22 Dec 2010 3 3912 6 Jun 2011