Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

(budget?) (itinerary?) A month in Chiang Mai to Laos & Northern Vietnam

Posted by limyk14 on 10/6/2014 at 03:23

My trip starts from Chiang Mai on the 31st of July. I'm following lonely Planet minority report sample itinerary and will be traveling for a month
I have a budget of USD 1600 including accommodation and flight prices. Is is too rush and is the budget enough? Please advise, greatly appreciated.

#1 limyk14 has been a member since 10/6/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by Turkishpizza on 10/6/2014 at 05:26

Minority Report was a good movie. Never heard of the itinerary. I would never follow someone elses plan.

#2 Turkishpizza has been a member since 11/5/2014. Posts: 40

Posted by daawgon on 10/6/2014 at 13:51

Rather hard to comment on this because you're a tad vague with exact plans. Suggest you expand your question with more details, but the budget doesn't sound too bad for a backpacker.

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by travellingsarah on 13/6/2014 at 00:27 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

As daawgon says, whether it's too rushed or not really depends where you plan to go. Are you planning on crossing into Laos at Hoay Xai then heading north and over into Vietnam that way or do you want to explore further south in Laos as well? Is the month just to get to northern Vietnam or to visit some sights as well? The budget should be fine if you travel by land.

#4 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 679
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by limyk14 on 13/6/2014 at 13:12

Hi this would be my loose itinerary. Yes I'm crossing into Laos via Huay Xai and I'm looking into doing adventurous stuff if possible.2ppelop.png

#5 limyk14 has been a member since 10/6/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by marianaamc on 19/6/2014 at 16:37

Hi, I never did this trip but you might wanna consider skipping Vieng Xai and do the route Nong Khiaw - Muang Ngoi - Muang khua by boat on the nam ou river, and getting to Dien Bien Phu from Muang Khua. If it were me that's what I would do.

#6 marianaamc has been a member since 30/10/2013. Posts: 62

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.