Southeast Asia forum

14 days se asia avoiding thailand

• jessyb

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2014

Hi There,

I'm was planning a trip to Thailand for August but have been waiting to see what happens wrt the coup. I know August isn't the ideal season but it's all I've got & people on the forums seem to say go for it anyway.

I'm thinking it might be wisest to avoid Thailand & head to Vietnam / Laos / Cambodia. What do you think? It seems tricky to avoid flying into BKK. Do you think this is a problem?

We'd ideally like to see the following:
    Temples
    Gibbon / forest / zip wire stuff / staying in a jungle
    Trekking / Jungles / Homestays
    A biggish old city
    Elephants
    A quiet backwater type of place we can hire bikes
    Somewhere to hire a moped that's not crazy busy (not a city).
    Anything else outdoorsy

The idea is that we're taking my step daughter (15) and wanted the whole backpacky / mix it up / assault on the senses experience so she'll get a bit more street for when she goes it alone.

Any suggested itineraries / bases / place to avoid in August / places to go in August, gratefully accepted.

Thank you.

#1 Posted: 24/6/2014 - 07:16

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I think that, given your interests and time available, two weeks in Cambodia would be sensible.

Under no circumstances should you attempt to see three countries in two weeks, and I wouldn't recommend trying to see two either.

I would say this even without travelling with a 15 year old, but even more so with one in tow.

#2 Posted: 24/6/2014 - 08:10

• jessyb

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2014

Thanks for replying.

I'm not going to all of the above, just trying to narrow down a region / do-able nicely in 14 days type area that will meet as many of the above as possible. Once I've narrowed it down & chucked out half the list I'll hopefully have a starting point. It's a little overwhelming when you only have 2 weeks.

Any more advice gratefully appreciated.

#3 Posted: 24/6/2014 - 09:00

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Temples - Siem Reap
    Gibbon / forest / zip wire stuff / staying in a jungle - doable, not sure where
    Trekking / Jungles / Homestays - doable also.
    A biggish old city - Phomh Penh (very popular with people on here)
    Elephants - Everywhere, some more reputable than others
    A quiet backwater type of place we can hire bikes - Kampot and Kep
    Somewhere to hire a moped that's not crazy busy (not a city) - Kampot and Kep
    Anything else outdoorsy

Two weeks = four places IMO.

PP, Kampot, Siem Reap and one more.

#4 Posted: 24/6/2014 - 10:00

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

China is spot on here. But you don't need to be concerned about Thailand. The coup isn't affecting the day to day activities of tourists, especially now with the curfew lifted. It sounds way more dramatic than it is.

#5 Posted: 24/6/2014 - 11:58

• hoang

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

hi dear,
    I support your ideal to avoid Thailand in this time. In august is really a good time in southest asia such as Viet Nam. I suggest some famous place in Viet Nam if you like to explore the splendid nature with the masterpiece of local famers - green terraces in the mountainous areas in Ha Giang, Sa pa, Mu Cang Chai. It's time for festivals aslo. Besides the unique temple in Siem Reap, you should drop by Viet Nam. I am sure that you will be pleased with your choice to Viet Nam.

#6 Posted: 25/6/2014 - 02:39

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Depending on where you live then flying via Bangkok could be the most cost effective route. There are no real problems with Thailand but if you do want to go straight on then booking a through connecting flight on the one ticket can be a better option than buying separate connecting flights and does not always cost more

Qatar (great airline) fly into both Phnom Phen and HCM these days but check timetable as they do a triangle so on certain days they fly one way round the triangle and on other days the other way round and can make a differance of 2 or three hours to the journey

To add to china rocks recommendations you might like Chi Phat in cambodia for jungle, trecks, homestay and village life this is a link to their old web pages as they are currently developing a new site (I am happy to privately forward the link as it is still work in progress) - I have no connection with the village apart from having visited 4 times and love the place

http://www.ecoadventurecambodia.com/

#7 Posted: 26/6/2014 - 06:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.