Southeast Asia forum

Best jungle/rainforest

• Sundancekid4

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2014

Hi there,

My girlfriend and I are traveling Southeast Asia for 8 months (sept-May) and would like advise on some of people's favourite spots to do a jungle/rainforest trek. I know this is a very broad question but with 8 months we can go almost anywhere. The only place that we have ruled out is Borneo(even though it looks like it has great jungle trekking) it seems to hard to travel through and expensive. We are looking for a one day or multi-day experience where it's not too commercial and we are submerged in the jungle. A place that has a good chance of seeing wildlife is a plus. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

#1 Posted: 27/6/2014 - 14:46

• Advertisement

• Arikara1985

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

Based on the research I've done, Sumatra would be a great choice. I arrive in Indonesia September 5th and going straight to Bukit Lawang where I'll do the 3 day trek to see orangutans. Should see lots of wild life, which was what I was disappointed with last year in Thailand (did 3 day trek near Chiang Mai and never saw a thing).

#2 Posted: 28/6/2014 - 11:04

• Sundancekid4

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2014

Hi, thanks for the reply. I took at look at Bukit Lawang and it looks like it has some great reviews for the 3 day trek. This sounds like it gives you a fairly genuine jungle experience, which is what I am looking for. However, do you have any recommendation on how to get there? I am flying into Jakarta on Sept 13. Where are you flying into?

#3 Posted: 28/6/2014 - 23:16

• Arikara1985

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

I'm flying into Medan. I guess you could overland it but that would take a long time I'd think. Probably your best bet would be do travel around Java a bit then fly to Medan, from there it's only a couple hours by bus.

#4 Posted: 29/6/2014 - 05:28

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Good recommendation and if you want to see a bit more of Sumatra why not fly to Padang and travel north via Bukkitinggi and Lake Toba (go back that way)

Another destination for a treck would be Chi Phat in southern cambodia but less wildlife to see

#5 Posted: 1/7/2014 - 06:32

• Sundancekid4

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2014

HI amnicoll, thanks for your input. How long would you recommend if we fly into padang and travel north via Bukkitinggi and Lake Toba? Also, we are interested in multiple jungle treks (pretty much the reason we are going to SEA is to see the jungle, wildlife, and beaches ) so can you tell me a bit more about Chi Phat? Like was there a specific spot that you really enjoyed?

#6 Posted: 3/7/2014 - 20:50

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

How long is a difficult one but perhaps 2-3 days in both Padang and Bukkitinggi and then anything up to a week by lake Toba if you like it (and do not forget a full day travel between each.)

Chi Phat is somewhere that I have fallen in love with and for me it is the village and the people who live there. There are many trecks and activities organised but you can not beat just wandering around the village and stopping to talk, perhaps have a drink or eat with the locals and play with the kids or just head off to the nearby waterfalls for a swim. I go each year in December /Jan safe in the knowledge that I am unlikely to see any rain (I think in 3 visits at that time of year it did rain once) but I have also been in April and although it did rain some days (about one in three) it was usally a heavy storm lasting about an hour and the rest of the time was sunny

I have attached a link to their new website that is still being develped and should you come across their old link it was not working wether this is tempory or permanent I do not know:

http://www.chi-phat.org/Default.htm

#7 Posted: 4/7/2014 - 05:36

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

micky

this site is not for advertising please stay away if you are not able to contribute to the discussion

#8 Posted: 5/7/2014 - 06:09

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Hi... If you want a more "authentic" experience, don't go to Bukit Lawang. It can be a fairly ugly place to visit if you get there on a weekend or holiday. The better place to go if you just want a serious jungle trek with wildlife is Ketambe.

I've been to Bukit Lawang a couple of times and over the past 8 years it has become a place where locals come to picnic... which isn't bad in itself except that many locals picnic in a way that foreigners would not like. Karaoke, nightclubs, tubing by the thousands.... For me it spoils the serenity of the place. When the crowds go away it is fantastic.

So for me, go to Ketambe instead.

#9 Posted: 1/8/2014 - 02:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.