Southeast Asia forum

Book hotels now or when we are there?????

• Northwig

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2014

Hello, I wonder if anybody could help me and my girlfriend who are first time travellers :)
    I have heard different reports about travelling and booking hotels. We are travelling thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam for 5 weeks. In December 2014. We are going To different cities for approx 2-4 nights at a time. Would you recommend booking them over there, is the price likely to be higher/lower. This way we could get a feel for the. Areas and listen to different accounts on the hotels. On the other hand is this likely to be a big time waster whilst trying to book hotels when over there? Any positive information would be greatly appreciated. We have booked the first few nights and also going to book Christmas time to ensure we have something sorted for then.

Regards
    Northwig

#1 Posted: 7/7/2014 - 13:25

• Advertisement

• foreverforw-
    ard

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2014

In my honest opinion I'd recommend booking them as you go along. I spoke to afew people who were annoyed that they booked everything, as they wanted to spend longer in some places which they loved and were stuck in others which they hated and wanted to leave but couldn't.

#2 Posted: 7/7/2014 - 16:32

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

As above.

It can be a good idea to book somewhere for your first night in the country after a long haul fight.
    if you are wanting to stay some in particualar or special might be a good idea to book.
    If you are going somewhere where there is very limited accomodation (or in your budget) then if arriving late consider.
    Finally depending on where you want to be at Christmas and New year then you could consider

Most of the time however there is no need to book

#3 Posted: 8/7/2014 - 06:52

• Northwig

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2014

Thank you both for your reply. We have just done our first hotel and Christmas. I agree with what you are saying about if we love or hate a place. We have booked about 6 internal flights so we would have a semi flexible itinerary. I was just wondering if the prices rocketed up or even down if we left it until we was there. Thanks again for your help guys. All information is welcome as we are travel virgins ;) I do really love my boyfriend lots and wanted us to have a very great holiday.

#4 Posted: 8/7/2014 - 09:07

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Northwig,

In small guesthouses, prices really don't change - they're not like airlines, using complicated programmes to fluctuate prices up and down over time - so I wouldn't worry about prices going up at the last minute.

#5 Posted: 8/7/2014 - 14:55

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I agree with amnicoll that it is smart to have something booked after a long-haul flight, or when you are arriving late, or when there is a particular place you'd like to stay, or if it is a particularly busy time. I've noticed that the longer the trip, the less I'm likely to book ahead, because as others have mentioned, booking ahead can limit your flexibility.

Even if you do book ahead, have a few back up options in mind, because it can easily happen that you'll turn up only to find your room not available as promised. That happened to us on a recent trip to Senggigi, Lombok, when the guest house had only one room available out of the two we'd booked through Agoda. I've also noticed that for the flashpacker- and higher-priced places, a booking is usually honored, but that seems to be much less the case at backpacker-style places. And many of those don't accept reservations anyway. Cheers.

#6 Posted: 9/7/2014 - 14:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hotels in July - to book, or not to book? ... By Dutch on 27 May 2013 4 2004 12 Jun 2013
Book hotels in advance or not? ... By shaungt08 on 3 Mar 2013 10 5191 10 Mar 2013
Hotels and gueshouses in Vietnam - where to book cheap? ... By travelmasters on 15 Oct 2012 3 2251 26 Nov 2012