Southeast Asia forum

2 Month Travel itinerary - Advice

• ljp

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2014

Hi all, I'm flying to Bangkok next week to start a 2 month trip around Thai/Camb/Laos/Viet. This is my potential plan/itinerary (It get's less detailed as it goes on, to allow flexibility and the start is where I really need to know what I'm doing!). I haven't traveled before and will be travelling primarily alone, so any general advice on my route or to make my life easier would also be great, or places I should definitely go to. Anyone who might be in similar places to me at similar times and may want to do a bit of travelling together also feel free to leave a comment!

At first I think I'd like to stay in the more touristy areas, just while I get to grips with everything, but I certainly want chances to get a bit off the beaten track as the trip goes on. I'm also quite outdoorsy and sporty, so would also like to get involved in some trekking and any adventurous type sports - kayaking/canoeing, rafting, climbing etc.

Week 1 - Bangkok to Cambodia Border

- Land in Bangkok, stay 1/2 nights (not planning on seeing much at this point)
    - Go to Ayutthaya for a few days, probably getting there via train?
    - Get a train to Pak Chong and spend a few days exploring Khao Yai National Park
    - Then, head to the Aranya Prathet/Poipet border crossing - probably via a bus to Nakhon Ratchasima

Week 2/3 Cambodia

- Head from the border crossing to Siem Reap, spending around 4 days exploring Angkor
    - Boat trip to Battambang (1 day) then spend a couple of days
    - Bus to Phnom Penh (1 day) then spend a couple of days
    - Bus to South coast - Kampot/Koh Kong conservation corridor, spend around 3/4 days in the area

Week 4/5/6 Vietnam

- Return to Phnom Penh (1 day) and get a bus to Ho Chi Minh City (1 day), spend 3 days in HCMC

- Fly from HCMC to Hanoi (1 day) and explore the city (2 days)
    - Head inland towards Sapa (2/3 days, trekking etc.), maybe stopping off somewhere on the way/way back?
    - Head back to HCMC (1 day) then on to Ha Long Bay (4 days inc travel)
    - Then get one of the open bus tickets down the coast, heading south, stopping at various beach resorts etc. (1 week)
    - Get off the bus at Hue and cross into Laos at Lao Bao crossing.

Week 6/7/8 Laos

- Not sure where to go first in Laos but the general plan is to head North, visiting Kong Lo Cave, Vang Viang, plain of jars (phosovan), Luang Prabang
    - Boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xai
    - If I get time, visit Luang Namtha or Muang Sing before returning to cross into Thailand

Weeks 8/9
    - Chiang Rai/Dao
    - Chiang Mai
    - Maybe somewhere like Pai if I get timne
    - Then head South towards Bangkok (train?), stopping off at places like Sukhothai, Lampang, Lopburi
    - Fly home!

Thanks for reading/any advice!

#1 Posted: 14/7/2014 - 07:21

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

thats just how that old faithful-the LP guidebooks, have it all written down for routings for 4 weeks-so there is scope enough to add. DO also read their advice about what visa to get and where+ other entry rules. Do not ask here unless provinding your own nationality.

#2 Posted: 16/7/2014 - 06:31

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey ljp,

your itinerary looks fine to me, although i can't really comment on the vietnam portion as i've never been there. otherwise, i think you're smart to start off easy in more popular areas and then work into the outback after you get your travel legs under you.

general advice might be to make sure you have good travel insurance, let your bank know you'll be travelling and make sure you have a 4-digit pin for your ATM card, and work out a rough idea of what your visa options are before you leave home. knowing where you can get a visa (usually free upon arrival in thailand for most nationalities and available for a small fee ($30 to $35 or so - usually in cash) at the lao and cambodian borders), will help with your last-minute planning.

keep a copy of your passport information page separate from where you keep your passport, just in case, and leave a copy with a trusted friend or family member back home. you usually won't need to book rooms in advance unless you are arriving on a long-haul international flight or late at night. it is always a good idea to have a few places to stay in mind already when you turn up in a new place.

other than that, you can pick up recommendations and information from other travellers while you are out on the road. making your way as you go along is a big part of the fun. i hope you have a great time. cheers.

#3 Posted: 19/7/2014 - 21:12

• Maarsello

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2014

Hi,

is any chance to plan your trip to sangihe island, north sulawesi-indonesia

#4 Posted: 20/7/2014 - 06:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
1 month in SEA- Itinerary advice please! :) ... By Karlap on 8 Oct 2009 6 3809 14 Oct 2009
a month in Laos - Itinerary and advice ... By lakyw on 5 Aug 2010 0 2921 5 Aug 2010
Seeking Advice: 6 month itinerary ... By Msalkinder on 13 Jun 2012 4 3522 7 Aug 2012
5 Month SEA General Itinerary Advice ... By TravelMoo on 3 Jul 2014 8 1297 25 Sep 2014
Itinerary advice – aging solo traveller with a month in Cambodia and Laos ... By glennevis on 11 Sep 2014 13 657 15 Sep 2014
Leaving in an month, budget, itinerary nerves/worries. Advice appreciated ... By RTWnewbie on 9 Aug 2012 4 2028 10 Aug 2012
Itinerary 1 Month - Backpacking Through Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam... Advice Needed :) ... By reneejordan on 5 Nov 2010 8 20317 6 Mar 2011
meagre budget for a month travel advice please ... By inqusiseth on 8 Jun 2010 3 2757 12 Jun 2010
Travel with 10 month old - itinerary help! ... By ambicoed on 4 Oct 2012 1 1463 18 Oct 2012
1 month travel itinerary Central Vietnam/Cambodia - help! ... By Billroy on 13 Nov 2014 8 562 18 Nov 2014