Southeast Asia forum

Myanmar

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I leave next Monday to fly to Bangkok and start my 2-4 month journey through SE asia. I am planning on visiting 4-5 countries there.

Back when I was planning this trip, it included 2-3 weeks in Burma. Current events may now allow for this trip. However, I would still like to go (if I am allowed in). I would love to get footage of some of the demonstrations (if possible).

I am fully aware that it is a dangerous situation, but I would still like to take my chances.

Does anyone know if I will be able to get in? A lot can happen in the next month...I am just wondering if they will deny my visa because I am an American.

#1 Posted: 28/9/2007 - 20:48

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We've a number of colleagues who have been denied visas now for Burma, and from what I understand no further visas are going to be issued until the situation clears.

It's difficult to be fully aware of the situation given the internet and international telephone systems have been largely shut down.

We've heard from journalist colleagues that it was no coincidence that the only foreign casualty (that we're aware of) was a photo-journalist -- shot through the heart from behind, at point blank range. While your intentions (of filming protests) are admirable, the security situation (at least as it stands at the moment) would make that extremely difficult and very dangerous.

As you say a lot can happen in a month, so perhaps the situation will have improved by the time you're out here.

#2 Posted: 29/9/2007 - 06:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.