Southeast Asia forum

Thailand, Loas, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam itinerarie

• traveltiger

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2007

I’m heading for SEA for 3 months next month. I would like to roughly follow the Thailand, Loas, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam trip outlined in the suggested itineraries outlined on this site. I would be interested to here from anyone who has done this. perhaps a few pointers on how they got on would help me. I am particularly worried about the Malaria situation. I realize a doctor is the only person that can give you a definitive answer, however what does a doctor in the UK know about SEA that I cant find out on the internet. They are only human after all. I am planning to take Doxycycline from when I cross over to Loas and perhaps stop 4 weeks after I leave Cambodia. How did you deal with this issue and in retrospect do you feel it was the right decision.

#1 Posted: 29/9/2007 - 06:54

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Welcome to Travelfish Tiger,

I don't know if you've seen it already, but we've got a feature summarising the malaria situation in SE Asia.

Personally I wouldn't take malarials, instead I'd use a mosquito net, repellent, dress sensibly etc. But if you're more comfortable with the pills, then Doxy is the most common choice -- we list some of the side effects in the above-mentioned feature.

Regarding the trip itinerary, the main thing is to not try to do too much. You've got three months, so that's a good chunk of time, but don't be shy from grabbing a few flights to avoid backtracking. For instance, you can fly from Hanoi to Bangkok with Thai Air Asia for as little as US$40 -- to do the same trip overland would take an absolute minimum of four full days.

That itinerary also barely touches on Thailand, so don't forget to allow for some time there as well. Which reminds me I have to put together some more trip plans for Thailand!

#2 Posted: 29/9/2007 - 08:49

• rakhee2108

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2007
    Total reviews: 6

I'm from the UK and for the five weeks we were in Cambodia and Vietnam, the travel clinic recommended we take Doxycycline for the entire trip, which we did. However, due to the drug's side-effects, we met lots of other people who just took sensible precautions (mosquito net, repellent etc) and carried an emergency anti-malarial kit, which was to be taken if the symptoms of malaria were experienced.

#3 Posted: 30/9/2007 - 06:09

• Skowl

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007
    Total reviews: 3

If you go over land and start out in Bangkok, going through Cambodia, Vietnam, Lao and then back into northern Thailand there shouldn't be any need to backtrack. The only visa that can't be got on entry to the country is the Lao one which you can get in Hanoi before catching a bus or plane (the bus takes ages and is not very pleasant but you´ll see some fantastic landscapes on your way in).

If you're worried about malaria I would advise against Lariam as an anti malaria medication. I got back from Burma weeks ago and I'm still suffering nausea, dizziness and panic attacks. Supposedly Mallarone is just as good but without the nasty side effects.

#4 Posted: 30/9/2007 - 06:28

• Skowl

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007
    Total reviews: 3

Actually now that I remember I had to get the Vietnam visa in Phnom Phen before crossing the border. Sorry, damn Lariam messing my memory up. Probably.

#5 Posted: 30/9/2007 - 06:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand, Loas, Cambodia, Vietnam plan ... By tuck60 on 25 Sep 2012 4 1780 27 Sep 2012
7wks in Thailand, Loas, Cambodia and Vietnam ... By aineokane on 29 Jul 2012 1 1415 29 Jul 2012
£1500 for 8 weeks around Thailand/Loas/Cambodia/Vietnam ... By mrnice88 on 4 May 2010 4 6038 5 May 2010
Travelling around Thailand, Cambodia, Loas and Vietnam - Any Ideas??! ... By SteveHickey on 6 Dec 2006 1 3714 6 Dec 2006
Thailand, Loas, Cambodia & Vietnam. Nov/Dec 2010 to end of Jan 2011 ... By JonG on 27 Oct 2010 9 2574 7 Dec 2010
ROUTE TO VIETNAM / CAMBODIA / LOAS / NORTH THAILAND - SOUTH ... By mango551 on 11 Jan 2010 2 5417 14 Jan 2010
3 Months Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam & Loas Trip Report ... By miranda456 on 17 Apr 2007 15 13063 23 Sep 2010
1month-6weeks.thailand and loas or thailand/cambodia? ... By leavingsoon on 29 Mar 2011 6 2396 17 Apr 2011
Thailand Itinerarie ... By DecoyA on 13 May 2011 5 1511 13 May 2011
Cambodia to Loas to Thailand....Help.... ... By jimmychalthorpe on 25 Oct 2008 1 2269 26 Oct 2008