Southeast Asia forum

3 Months South East Asia. ADVICE PLEASE :)

• STEEBEE84

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

Hi all

My Friend and I, are going to South East Asia in mid August for, well... as long as the money lasts. Flights there are already sorted, and we have taken our budget out for flights home already. we are left with around $4000 each to spend, from landing into Bangkok.to flight home. we have some idea of where we are going to go(not set in Stone)

Thailand-
    Bangkok
    Chiang Mai
    Phuket
    Koh Phangan

Cambodia-
    Siam Reap
    Phnom Penh

Vietnam-
    HCMC
    Ha long Bay
    Hanoi.

not very Original i know lol. W want to make the trip as long and as memorable as possible, as we are giving up our jobs to do this. We will be drinking on the trip but not every day, mainly just a few bottles here and there in the hostel after long days out to temples etc. we will be eating local food/transportation/beer etc. how long should we expect the money to last, if we are Sensible?

Any advice on other places to go would be appreciated too

Thanks
    Ste

#1 Posted: 1/8/2014 - 23:06

• Advertisement

• chris9393

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2014

Hello mate!

I'm doing something similar but for 3.5 months you can see a lot more places than that! I'm going solo (first time travelling too) on October 1st for 3.5 months and have roughly the same budget as you..

Are you looking to do Laos aswell?

For 3.5 months with the same budget I'm looking at doing Northen Thailand -> Laos -> Vietnam -> Cambodia - Southern Thailand

Haven't had much time to do some proper research but some of the places I want to see are as followed;

Thailand;

Bangkok
    Chiangmai
    Chiang Rai
    Pai
    Phuket
    Koh Samui
    Koh Tao
    Koh phi phi
    Koh Lanta

Vietnam;

Hanoi
    Halong Bay
    Hue
    Hoi Ann
    Nha trang
    Saigon
    Delat
    Mui ne
    Sapa

Cambodia;

Koh Rong
    Snake island
    Bamboo island
    Siam Reap
    Phnom Penh

Laos;

Vang vieng
    Luang Prabang
    Vientiane

I haven't had time to have a proper look at Laos and Cambodia and know I have probably missed out a few places which are worth seeing but it's a starting point.

Hope this kinda 'helps' and enjoy your trip [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#2 Posted: 12/8/2014 - 08:31

• magicFly

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Hi,

doing the same thing right now. First I wouldn't make to many plans as they will change for sure. Actually I planed to be in Thailand for 1 week. Now I am here since 3 weeks. You will meet people along the way and get a lot of information then you can decide where you want to go.

The money should last at least 3 months. I would say 4 to 5. But it really depends how often you go party, and which accomondation you choose. One beer in Thailand costs you as much as a cheap meal! Same with accomondation, you can have a nice fan bungalow for 5$ or you can have a 100$ luxury resort.

A good option to extend your stay without spending money is volunteering. Most of the time you get free food and accomondation for some work. If you have the right qualification you get a proper salary.

Regards

#3 Posted: 12/8/2014 - 09:35

• STEEBEE84

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

Hi Chris

My itinerary is loosely based on the places i listed i know we will be doing allot more than that. Originally i wasnt going to do loas, but its looking likely now, as we want to do north and south thailand. And may be an idea to do south thailand then make our way to cambodia then south vietnam, make our way north then cross into loas then to notth of thailand then back to Bangkok for a cheap flight tonhong knong to finish the tour off.

Good look with your travels, keep me posted we may be able to meet up. 6 days and counting :)

#4 Posted: 12/8/2014 - 10:37

• STEEBEE84

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

Hi magicfly

Nice to hear our budget may last. I have read up allot on budget, but they seem to be older threads, an i keep reading new threads saying how its not that cheap anymore.

I do like to have a drink, but i wont be going over the top.I may reserve that part of the trip for vietnam rather than thailand(exception being full moon party) but god t9o hear someone currently living off my budget.

We will be taking allot of recommendations whilst over there, as i said to chris its loosely based itinerary. But do wanna see the places i listed

Good luck with your travels
    Cheers
    Ste

#5 Posted: 12/8/2014 - 10:48

• magicFly

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Hi,

yeah prices have increased but still its cheap. Also there is off season if you start in Thailand right now. For instance I am at Ko Chang right now and prices are really down. Got a bungalow at the sea for 200 Baht (fan). Now I have a real fancy one with AC, TV, Fridge, Hot Shower, Swiming pool for 500 Baht. You can rent a motorbike for 150 Baht (24 hr). Food in a restaurant starts from 60 Baht

Cheers

#6 Posted: 12/8/2014 - 12:20

• STEEBEE84

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

Brilliant

Was checking some prices in hanoi and some of the accomodation is ridiculously cheap. Too .

What has the weather been like in thailand i know its off season but. Has it been raining much?

Cheers
    Ste

#7 Posted: 12/8/2014 - 12:54

• Maran

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2014

Hey Stee,

Your travel plans sound very similar to mine. I was originally going along the same lines (north Thailand, Laos, N Vietnam to S Vietnam, Cambodia, S Thailand, Malaysia). But this was when I was gonna go at end of may. I changed my plans so am now flying to Bangkok on 20 August for 16 weeks travelling around SE Asia. And, because of the weather, I've decided to change things (this is just a loose idea, as I know plans go out the window when travelling).

I'll arrive in Bangkok and spend a few days there before heading down to Ko Tao and spending maybe 2 weeks on the gulf islands, because if I wait til the end of my trip to go to the east coast of S Thailand, the weather conditions are not likely to be favourable. I was originally going to go from the south straight up to Chiang Mai , but now I think I'll go to Cambodia after the gulf islands, before working my way into S Vietnam and spending a month making my way to the north. Then fly from Hanoi to Luang Prabsng or Vientiene maybe. After Laos I can head into North Thailand when the rain will hopefully have eased (November). If I make it to Chiang Mai by Nov 6 then the Loy Krathong festival sounds like a great experience... although I'm not sure I'd make it there in time. I'd then work my way down through Thailand and hopefully check out the Adaman coast islands before heading into Malaysia for a week and flying home from Singapore on Dec 10 [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Based on what I've read, I think September would be better spent in Cambodia than in North Thailand, as the rain is supposed to be pretty bad on Chiang Mai etc in Aug/Sept and I'd like to hike in N Thailand. Correct me if I'm wrong about this though.

#8 Posted: 13/8/2014 - 01:01

• STEEBEE84

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

hey Maran,

sounds like you set for a brilliant time too. ;)

i have done some reading up on the weather conditions in the months ill be out there. so i have loosely tried to take that into account.

see you on the other side :)

Ste

#9 Posted: 13/8/2014 - 08:54

• MGJones14

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2014

Hello Guys!!

Well there is a chance that we may all end bumping into each other then! My trip with my best mate starts with us having a couple of days in singapore in the middle of september then are real backpacking begins, are aim is to visit cambodia, vietnam, laos, thailand and indonesia in the 3 months till christmas!

Been lucky enough to visit cambodia and thailand before. Cambodia is worth the visit, some of the most friendly people you will meet in asia, (I'm half malaysian, so have met plenty of rude asian people).

To be honest the weather conditions from september begin to get slightly better as it comes to the end of the monsoon season in SE asia.

Many Thanks

Mark

I'm sure we will be bumping into each other!

#10 Posted: 13/8/2014 - 10:35

• Advertisement

• MGJones14

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2014

Me and my mate are looking to mix partying hard with history and culture. Odd combination, but it's probably are last big trip before sorting our lives out haha! So it anyone has any recommendations for places they have visited it would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks

Mark

(Sorry for hijacking your thread!)

#11 Posted: 13/8/2014 - 10:38

• STEEBEE84

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

Hijack away, were both after the same thing :)

ive read up on a place caled khao sok national park which looks pretty cool. floating bungalows, and beautiful scenery

I go a month before you, so ill keep you posted on this thread, if i find anything worth mentioning. im sure i will :)

Happy Travels
    Ste

#12 Posted: 13/8/2014 - 10:51

• chris9393

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2014

Keep us updated :)

I'l be keeping a close eye on this thread for when I go in a few weeks!

#13 Posted: 13/8/2014 - 14:29

• STEEBEE84

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

Hey guys

Spent my first month in Thailand didn't get off the beaten track too much. Spent a few days in Bangkok. Krabi ao nang. Puket(Patong(crazy) and a few chilled out days in Kai lak. Which is beautiful and relaxing if that's what you need after some of the craziness of the islands. Also a few days in khao sok. Which is also beautiful and did some canoeing down the sok river and a few other sites. Enjoyed it so far now in Cambodia. If we get off the beaten track and find some gems will let you know

Cheers
    Ste

#14 Posted: 13/9/2014 - 11:00

• chris9393

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2014

STEEBEE how is the trip going? I'm flying into Bangkok next wednesday, so excited.

Are you finding it easy to get around? Also, what is the weather like there at the moment

#15 Posted: 23/9/2014 - 12:13

• STEEBEE84

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Chris

Loving the trip. its very easy to get around. i havnt had a problem at all. we got ripped off for our night train journey though from Bangkok to Krabi. we went into the station and went to the information Desk, Turned out to be a travel agency rather than a a official train station Info Desk. oh well live and learn. its rained everywhere we have been to be fair, when it rains it does it properly lol. but its only for about half hour a day, and it dries up within a few hours. it rained in bangkok, krabi(twisters too over the sea), koh Phi Phi koh samui, Khao Lak, Khao Sok, Phuket, siem reap, phnom penh, Saigon, I think its following me. lol it hasnt really spoilt my fun though. We had to come back from Railay Beach early because of the rain and the twisters,

Bet you cant wait now, :) look forward to hearing about your trip

Cheers
    Ste

#16 Posted: 25/9/2014 - 06:20

• chris9393

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2014

Glad your enjoying it! Not too sure on the weather though I was hoping I could escape the british weather and get some sunshine haha..

Is it hot? Would you recommend packing any warm clothing for evenings etc

Also how is the budget going

#17 Posted: 25/9/2014 - 11:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
5 months in south east asia, what to do first????? ... By eoinfitz on 27 Jun 2006 1 3868 27 Jun 2006
12 months in South East Asia ... By amieekb on 9 Sep 2013 8 1713 10 Sep 2013
South East Asia for 4-5 months ... By brandonjames123 on 19 Jun 2013 4 2074 10 Jul 2013
3 months South-East Asia ... By pimvanhees on 27 Nov 2011 2 2787 28 Nov 2011
6 months in south east asia ... By walshie89 on 6 Sep 2010 5 8073 17 May 2011
7 Months in South East Asia itinerairy help ... By keentraveller12 on 9 Aug 2013 4 1464 9 Aug 2013
4 months backpacking in South-East Asia ... By Suleika on 31 May 2013 1 2545 1 Jun 2013
5-6 Months in South East Asia. Is £5000 Enough? ... By Mangala on 25 Apr 2009 6 21239 15 Dec 2009
is 6 months in south east asia too long?? ... By g_singh on 3 Jul 2007 17 6513 27 Aug 2007
South East Asia 17th October for 3 months - 18/m/uk ... By brg93 on 27 Jun 2012 6 1287 1 Aug 2012