Southeast Asia forum

Email on smart phone good enough for proof of onward travel?

• kakal

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2014

Hey guys,

So i'm going away in the next couple of months to do a year long backpacking around asia, now i know the whole proof of onward travel question has been asked hundreds of times there is no guarantee you will or wont be asked for it, and that there are different ways of getting around it such as fake ticket, refundable tickets, throwaway tickets etc etc.

Now what i'm thinking of doing it not getting any onward tickets, and if asked try to wing my way around it, most likely will be futile, and if it doesn't work then just buy a cheap throwaway ticket to a neighboring country on my phone, now what i'm wondering is will an email confirmation suffice if i show it to them on my phone, or will they want to see the proof on paper, has anyone tried this?

The route i'm taking seems to have a few destinations where people seem to get asked a lot, the places i'm going to : India, Sri lanka, Thailand, Laos,Cambodia,Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia,Nepal, New Zealand.

Many thanks.

#1 Posted: 6/8/2014 - 11:43

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

This is a far too big Q here-plus that half of those countries are not in this forum on ASEAN. In general the STRICT answer is no-all rules I know of or have seen still refer to the old style paper tickets-thats why this whole system is sick at its roots- or in the eyes of some tipical for how governments still work-as if it was still 1966. If asked for, its most often as many burocrazy things: just give them a paper so that govmt worker become happy. I toss a guess that only SINgy would be more advacned-but also know how to check!
    You'd better put tongue in cheek and post on LP/TT- often ''friendlycheckingirl''-she works at some US-airport, or has done so, is often willing to look into her directives for specific Qs like this.

#2 Posted: 8/8/2014 - 05:53

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

As captainbkk says, it is almost impossible to know how individual immigration officials will react to any given situation, particularly in so many different places. Different countries vary greatly in how the rules are enforced. Some are strict. Some are lax. And as we've seen lately with Thailand, it can even vary from day to day.

The one constant seems to be that if you are bonafide tourist wishing to enter for genuine tourist reasons, you'll be okay. You can help yourself by looking presentable when you are crossing borders, having the right amount of cash and a passport photo with you as needed, and having some kind of documents to show where you are going. That would include a print out of your electronic ticket for the return flight for whevenver and from wherever that may be. If it were me, in addition to the smart phone email of an onward flight, I'd print out a copy at a cyber cafe or guest house. It shouldn't cost all that much extra, and will be worth it if they cannot accept the smart phone proof.

I'd like to hear how it turns out for you, and if you have any trouble at borders or if it is smooth passage like so many of us have enjoyed over the years. Good luck.

#3 Posted: 8/8/2014 - 13:33

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I would think that an email version of a ticket is acceptable. That's how I always check in at the airport and hotels now - I just hand over my phone. Onward ticket would be the same. I never have anything printed (a huge step for me, a self-confessed tree killer of days gone by). I've been travelling for a year now (SEA as well as Turkey, Greece and other parts of Europe) and no one yet has asked me for an onward ticket. (But that doesn't mean it won't happen, of course). Interestingly, I flew from Hungary to England recently, and that was the only time I seriously grilled by immigration on my arrival about my plans, funding, etc. But even they didn't ask to see onward ticket.

#4 Posted: 8/8/2014 - 15:01

• kakal

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2014

Thanks for the replies guys looks like it's anyone's guess then, the reason i asked was because i wont be buying onward tickets until i get in the country and then when i decide i want to leave i'll buy one to the next country, so was thinking worse case scenario just buy a ticket at airport if they insisting on needing one then showing confirmation on phone as proof.

busylizzy- glad to see it worked for you, i'll have to give it a go and see how i get on ( if asked)

#5 Posted: 10/8/2014 - 10:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
No proof of onward travel! ... By sparkey66 on 23 Jun 2012 4 2427 25 Jun 2012
Proof of Onward Travel ... By JustinC474 on 26 Sep 2012 2 1922 27 Sep 2012
Proof of onward travel ... By Drew84 on 19 Feb 2013 22 8978 26 Feb 2013
Proof of onward travel ... By jordyr88 on 13 Nov 2010 3 4639 27 Jun 2011
Singapore Onward Travel Proof ... By mooball on 29 Apr 2011 9 7387 14 Jul 2014
e ticket as proof of onward travel? ... By ee104 on 28 Oct 2008 1 4334 29 Oct 2008
Cambodia- proof of onward travel ... By bekk on 8 Nov 2010 2 4948 11 Nov 2010
Proof of onward travel on Air Asia? ... By JulietteR on 17 Feb 2012 5 2213 16 Jul 2014
Proof of onward travel required? ... By gottagetaway on 10 May 2011 3 3309 12 May 2011
Proof of Onward Travel in Thailand ... By stumac10 on 20 Mar 2012 2 2391 20 Mar 2012