Southeast Asia forum

Two Weeks - Thailand, Veitnam & Malaysia

• traveller705

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2014

Me and my wife are planning a family trip to South East Asia. Its our first foreign trip after our marriage. We will be starting our trip IA from first week of Oct.

We have total of 2 weeks. Kindly help us plan the trip in terms of destinations and preferred time of stay.

Some of our preferences are as follows.

Preferred Travel Theme: Beach / Culture / Shopping
    Preferred Budget: Budget Hotels for Family

We can start our trip from any of the above 3 countries. I have been to Thailand once before. I know how to book hotels and eating places etc.
    Just want a travel itinerary which explains the major places to visit, cultures to look for and places for cheap shopping in each country like Phi Phi Islands or Phuket or Koh Sumai etc in Thailand and how many days to stay at each place.

Your help in this regard is much appreciated.

#1 Posted: 10/8/2014 - 08:33

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Some of these are a little dated, but most of the time frame and hot-spots are all still the same, so I'd start your search here and then return with more specific questions: http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/

#2 Posted: 10/8/2014 - 09:06

• rong410

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

I dont know how many day dat you will spend in VietNam but i think in the North of Vietnam you should visit Halong bay ( in Quang Ninh province) then you visit CatBa island ( very easy to move from Halong bay). Then you come back Hanoi and go to Sapa ( you should go by train, it more safer)
    The midder of Vietnam you should visit Da nang city then move to Hoi An Ancient town, Bana Hill, After that you should visit Nha Trang city and Da Lat city or Phan Thiet province ( there is a beach which were choose as one the most beautiful beach in the world\, it name Mui Ne)

The South of Viet nam you should visit Ho chi minh city the most modern city in Viet Nam and you should visit Camau province ( it is the South Pole of Vietnam which has floating market )

I'm a tourguide and i have a hotel and a retaurant in Cat Ba. So if you need any help you can contact to me
    Email: ductoan@dulichhaiphong.vn
    Phone number in Vietnam : 0121.410.9999

#3 Posted: 11/8/2014 - 05:28

• vanpham

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

Dear Traveller75,

Great greetings from Danang!

I think Tour Guide rong410 did give you a good plan for travelling around Vietnam. now it's up to you to decide how long you and your family will spend in each place as two weeks is not a long time as Vietnam has so many places of interest for visit and sightseeing, enjoying the long days on the beach during this summer.

As Danang and Hoi An are also the destination in your travel route, you can contact me for any assistance regarding the hotels to stay, restaurants to eat and places to go around and site-seeing. I'm owning a very budget hotel in Danang and most of our guests are from foreign countries like you. You can email me at danangbeachhotel@gmail.com.

Cheers, HV

#4 Posted: 11/8/2014 - 08:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

OK, let's regroup here. Pick one country. Two weeks? Vietnam is not right around the corner. Not geograghically, not culturally. Malaysia is close if you start in say tourist mecca Phuket . "Beach, culture, shopping" - you can get all of that in Phuket / Krabi - which is what I'd recommend. Less is more.

#5 Posted: 11/8/2014 - 09:10

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Pick only 1 country for 2 weeks - Vietnam is the cheapest and has the friendliest people (Malaysia most expensive, but great beaches and food).

#6 Posted: 11/8/2014 - 12:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Daawgon - you think Vietnamese are more friendly than Thais? Really? That's contrary to everyone I personally know who has been to both places.

Traveller
    Thailand is a mixed bag. You want beaches - first thing you mentioned - so pretty much it would appear that steers you to the tourist locations. The good thing is you can get by easily with English and there will be a very robust infrastructure. The bad thing is people working in these areas are a bit jaded - like people in all tourist areas tend to be. This conflicts with your "culture" requirement a bit. If you went to a province off the tourist trail it would be better in that regard, but doesn't meet your other requirements.

#7 Posted: 12/8/2014 - 11:42

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Have you booked your flights yet? Given the time you have and the themes you list, I might fly into Bangkok for a few days, including a side trip to Ayutthaya for history and culture. From there I'd drift down the peninsula through southern Thailand and into Malaysia. There will be plenty of beaches and islands along the way with plenty of budget family accommodation.

You might consider catching a cheap flight from Phuket or Krabi or somewhere like that to points south to save a little overland travel time. If you can work out an open jaw ticket, then fly back home from Kuala Lumpur. Otherwise, catch a cheap flight back to Bangkok and fly home from there.

The only caveat is that the October time frame you mention is rainy season for most of southern Thailand. It usually won't rain all day however - typically just builds up in the afternoon for an hour or two of showers and a beautifully cool evening. It can disrupt transportation if there is a big storm, but usually all it means is fewer crowds and lower prices during that time.

I'd save Vietnam for another time, because you don't have enough time to enjoy three countries. If Vietnam is your top priority, then I'd spend all the time there and leave the others for another trip. I hope that helps. Have a great trip. Cheers.

#8 Posted: 12/8/2014 - 12:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cambodia, Veitnam, Malaysia, Indonesia ... By inny on 17 Apr 2013 2 1519 6 May 2013
Route advice; 4 weeks Peninsular Malaysia and 3 weeks East Malaysia ... By GhostOfTomJoad on 31 Jan 2013 2 3072 3 Feb 2013
3 weeks in Thailand and Malaysia ... By indiepops on 18 Sep 2013 5 970 20 Sep 2013
Traveling from Malaysia to Thailand in 3.5 weeks???? HELP! ... By lorievans121 on 3 Apr 2013 3 1422 3 Apr 2013
2 weeks in Thailand, Malaysia and Cambodia? ... By Annanas28 on 10 Oct 2011 16 3915 11 Oct 2011
3 weeks, malaysia/viet/thailand...please help me start! ... By slowtyper on 21 Jul 2013 3 868 21 Jul 2013
Philippines - Malaysia - Thailand + HongKong in 7 weeks ... By ekze on 5 Sep 2013 10 1116 9 Sep 2013