Southeast Asia forum

Travel logistics & which peak(s) to climb?

• dfreem1

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2014

From the 18th September we will be travelling to SE Asia for 3 weeks. We will spend 1 day in Bangkok, followed by 3 days in Singapore at the beginning and 2 days in Bangkok at the end of the trip. The period in between is flexible.

We want a diverse holiday with urban and rural experiences, culture, history, wildlife, adventure, exploration and night-life if it's possible to do that in 3 weeks! I would appreciate advice on where to visit in this period. The following locations have been discussed, we know we have to drop a few off the itinerary, but can't decide which ones:

Borneo - Mount Kinabalu & associated park; Gunung Mulu Park
    Lombok - Gunung Rinjani & associated park; the Gili Islands
    Java - Mount Bromo & associated park; Yogykarta; Borodubur

As you can see we like climbing & trekking, but I imagine 3 peaks in 3 weeks is unrealistic so we'll probably go with 2, unless this is also not feasible! Which ones are recommended if we want to have a diverse experience as possible. Also what would be the easiest route in terms of travelling.

At the moment (including all of the locations above) it is Bangkok>Singapore>Kota Kinabalu>Gunung Rinjani>Lombok>Gili Islands>Bromo-Tengger-Semery Park>Yogykarta>Bangkok. How long would the travelling itself take here and how many days for travelling do you think is reasonable within a 3 week trip? Should we just cut out an island all together, or perhaps replace Borneo with something closer to Java & Lombok?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks

#1 Posted: 13/8/2014 - 15:26

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

1. as for the climbs: at least 2 of them have been extensively answered recently in the country-fora-just look
    2.travel: AirAsia is again the best friend. Just count on any flite/flite combo to use up a full day, incl to/fro airport and settling down. Do your homework, whichyou could easily have thought of: check site, timings, prices.
    Kinabalu is in Sabah and closest by is thus KK. Then add your days.
    Unless a boozy OZzie: skip the gilli's. Its just Parramatta/Bondi with more booze in the sun.

#2 Posted: 14/8/2014 - 05:14

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

have you considered just working you way back up to Bangkok after Singapore? if i understand correctly, you've only got a little over two weeks from the time you leave Singapore until the time you need to be back in Bangkok. i fear that with all the things you want to do, you won't have time. i think you'll find most of what you are looking for along the Thai/Malay peninsula and won't have to rush doing it.

however, if your heart is set on Indonesia, and particularly if you want to climb those volcanoes, then maybe fly directly to Yogyakarta for a few days and then on to Lombok. there is a direct flight from Yogyakarta to Lombok on Lion Air (if you can get a seat - our flight was fully booked but otherwise a good flight and very affordable). just remember that getting around in Indonesia will take up more time than you think. you don't want to spend your entire holiday getting from place to place with no time inbetween to enjoy where you are.

also, i disagree with captainbkk's assessment of the Gili's. we spent a delightful six nights on Gili Air in late June. if money were no object, we'd still be there. we liked it that much. however, captainbangers is right that there is a great deal of information on the questions you've asked in related threads that will help you plan your trip. have a nosey and see what you think. cheers.

#3 Posted: 14/8/2014 - 12:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand during peak-peak for ultra-runner/yogini couple...need guidance ... By 4erica on 20 Oct 2008 4 1294 21 Oct 2008