Southeast Asia forum

solo traveller newbie

• bronzy

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2014
    Location Australia

Hello all, I am looking at taking a trip to south east asia from the end of september to mid december.

I would love to visit koh samui or an island similar in that area and vietnam both for an extended stay as i would like to relax and be apart of culture.

I would also like to explore cambodia and laos but not for long periods of time.

I will be travelling by myself (28 yr female) and would love any advice on destinations that you have experienced and stayed on for a few weeks and an itinerary for exploring.

I am so new to this so my post may seem a little wishy washy i have been spending countless hours googling and dreaming up this trip. Any tips also on visa regulations would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 18/8/2014 - 06:48

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Your post is very broad. Please ask more specific questions if you want advice. For example, give us a general idea of how long you'll be in each country, and how you plan to enter (especially for Thailand and Vietnam), if you want tips on visa regulations. As for destinations, a handful of my favorites are Ko Jum, Ko Lanta, Ko Lipe, Ko Surin, Sangkhlaburi, Chanthaburi and Bangkok (in Thailand), Hoi An and Sapa (in Vietnam) and Luang Prabang (in Laos). I also really enjoyed Angkor (in Cambodia). But the majority of my experience is in Thailand. If you tell us more about what your interests are, we''ll be better able to give you specific suggestions on places you might enjoy.

#2 Posted: 18/8/2014 - 20:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The Islands are, quite naturally, tourist draws. So it's difficult to go to one and "be part of the culture" if you mean Thai culture. What you have now in these locations is more of a hybrid culture, given the number of tourists running around these places.

If you have your heart set on the ocean / beach, I would recommend Trat. It's not a big tourist draw, so you can have more exposure to Thai lifestyle and Thai people while at the same time be close to the ocean.

Beyond that, I'm with DLuek here. Hard to give good advice without more specifics: likes, don't likes, hobbies, etc.

#3 Posted: 19/8/2014 - 01:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.