Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

When is the best time to book internal SE Asia flights?

Posted by Tazzfalcon on 20/8/2014 at 07:43

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are planning a three and a half month stint in SE Asia starting the 2nd week of Jan in Ho Chi Minh and ending 3rd week of April in Bali.

Over the course of this trip we'd like to see just about every country in SE Asia except the Philippines. Obviously to do this in the time allotted we're going to need to take quite a few flights within SE Asia, and I was wondering - given the time we're there - should we be booking now or waiting till we're on the ground for the best prices?

Some of the flight routes we're looking at:

Hanoi to Phenom Pehn (although I know it's prob more likely HAN to HCM, then bus because £££).

Bangkok to Yangon

Mandalay to Bangkok

Luang Prabang to Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur to Jakarta or Yogjakarta

Cheers,

Tazz

#1 Tazzfalcon has been a member since 20/12/2008. Posts: 18

Posted by daawgon on 20/8/2014 at 16:41

Some of those routes do not have nonstop service, and can be rather expensive (such as Luang Prabang to KL - Air Asia flies to KL from Vientiane). You are also right that it's far easier/cheaper to get to Cambodia from Saigon than Hanoi. Most local carriers have budget fares that fill up quickly, so I would book as soon as your plans are set in gold. I've already booked my flights on Vietnam Air and Air Asia for Feb/March. Make sure you book on the carrier's own websites.

Since the fatal crash last year on Lao Airlines, I no longer recommend travel on that carrier. You also couldn't get me to fly any carrier based in Myanmar!

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,093

Posted by exacto on 20/8/2014 at 17:06

I'd agree with daawgon that it is best to book flights as soon as your plans are set. As daawgon says, the budget flights fill up quickly, and prices will get more expensive as you get closer to the flight date. We took two domestic flights during our recent trip to Indonesia. We booked them several months in advance and watched as the price continued to climb after that. Also, the flights were full down to the last seat, and we also noticed quite a few disappointed tourists trying to book last-minute flights but not being able to find an available seat.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,632
 Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.