Southeast Asia forum

Got 2 months in SE Asia help with plans

• jamiemcm

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2014

Hey, myself and 2 friends arrive in bangkok on the 1st of October and from there we don't know the best plan of attack. The most common route seems to be north thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia then south thailand and the islands. Looking for any advice on things to do? places to see?where to stop? how long to stay in places for? Everything really lol. And has anyone done the 'gibbon experience'? Heard mixed reviews but it looks amazing.

Thanks any replies with be helpful
    Jamie

#1 Posted: 20/8/2014 - 16:57

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Too generic hombre. No idea what your interests are, likes, dislikes. Are you a beach guy (I don't like the beach)? You coming for the women? You coming to learn about culture (which everyone says they are and nobody really is). Maybe architecture is your thing. Very hard to give intelligent advice without knowing a bit more about you and your objectives.

#2 Posted: 21/8/2014 - 07:27

• jamiemcm

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2014

Very valid point mate. We are all interested in seeing some temples, learn about some culture. Do like the beach but not wanting to spend all my time on a sunbed. Like to have a drink but dont want to be getting drunk every night. Also Really interested in seeing the war memorials in Vietnam and also just basic touristy things for first time travels over there

#3 Posted: 21/8/2014 - 10:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Do you want the beaten path - or do you want to get off it? If you want the beaten path, I would recommend a week or so in Bangkok to get your feet on the ground. See all the usual sights there: National Museum, Jim Thompson House, Palace and so forth. After you've had your fill there, then I'd head to Nong Khai via night train. A night or two there (I do like the storied, very much on the beaten path, Mut Mee Guest house. After that, cross into Laos - Vientiane, VV, Luang Prabang. Can easily eat two weeks in that neck of the woods. Then I would FLY to Hanoi . Overland sucks - like a lot. From Hanoi work your way down the coast (three weeks at least I would guess from everyone who has been there and done it) and once you reach Saigon (and checked out your war stuff) head to PP (I love PP). You could easily spend a week there, but you might be getting pressed for time, and I'm sure you'll want to hit Angkor Wat before heading back to Bangkok to get out of there. That big loop will take all of your two months if you don't rush.

#4 Posted: 21/8/2014 - 11:32

• chris9393

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2014

Hello mate I'm also flying into Bangkok on the 1st October, solo traveller. Where are you staying?

From what you have briefly mentioned I have similar plans although I am going for 3.5 months. I'm heading to Northern Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia then Southern Thailand for Full Moon Party.

#5 Posted: 21/8/2014 - 12:04

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Chris, if you are looking for a very cool, very off the beaten path route, I have one. PM me if you're interested. You have more time than the OP.

#6 Posted: 22/8/2014 - 03:31

• chris9393

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2014

Sounds good! I sent you a PM

#7 Posted: 22/8/2014 - 12:29

• johnno

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2009

Bud like what madmac has said do some basic research in this site before asking such spoon feed me everything question. Otherwise how's it fair on others who do exactly that and experienced repliers here having to regurgitate same s$&t each time? Don't wanna be a d$%k but just wanna give ya wake up call before ya travels. Come back once you've got more detailed plan and we'll help ya.

#8 Posted: 9/9/2014 - 18:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Very rough / initial plans for 6 months in SE asia ... By bd7391 on 15 Oct 2012 7 1766 9 Nov 2012