Southeast Asia forum

100 days in SE Asia - route feasiblity

• Tazzfalcon

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008

So, this is a follow up to the topic I started the other day about flights.

My girlfriend and I are heading to South East Asia the 2nd week of Jan 2015, arriving Ho Chi Minh City and departing from Bali the 3rd week of April.

In between we want to spend 3 weeks in Vietnam (all the hits South to North),
    10ish days in Cambodia (Capital and South Coast most probably - we've already seen Angkor),
    2 weeks in Thailand, (BKK to the Chaing Rai area relatively slowly),
    a week or so in Laos doing the slow boat to Luang Prabang,
    10 days of so doing the loop Yangon-Bagan-Mandalay loop in Myanmar,
    2-3 weeks in peninsular Malaysia,
    and the rest in Indonesia ending up in Bali.

That probably seems extremely tight to some people on here with a lot of travel days but we’ve done one stint in South East Asia and are fairly comfortable with the distances and methods of travel involved.

What do people think though, does it - in that order - sound like the ‘path of least resistance’ as it were? We’re planning on taking a number of flights to skip land or sea borders where possible.

Out budget is about £6,000 for the pair of us. Seem feasible?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 21/8/2014 - 13:43

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Seems feasible at first glance, even if you'll spend no more than a few days in any one destination -- not my idea of an enjoyable trip but to each his/her own. It sounds like you know what you're getting into; strategic flights will help. You do have some big jumps (North Vietnam down to South Cambodia, Luang Prabang to Burma); I assume you'll be at least partly flying for those? Certainly a lot of logistics to sort out in this itinerary, and it will be expensive. 6,000 quid might even be tight, especially if that includes your long-haul flights to/from your home country and travel insurance. This itinerary seems to depend on a fair few flights and obviously several visas, and both Malaysia and Burma are pricier than the other countries.

One thing is that it seems to make more sense to start in Hanoi , working your way south then crossing into south Cambodia... You might look into flying straight up to Hanoi (perhaps Jetstar or Air Asia) and heading south from there? Otherwise you'd have to fly from Hanoi back down towards South Cambodia anyway (or endure a two-day bus or train ride), right?

#2 Posted: 22/8/2014 - 22:58

• Tazzfalcon

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008

Thanks DLuek! Yes it does depend at least a fair few flights. Budget wise that doesn't include outward bound flights though at least.

I think your right about Vietnam, Jetstar back from Hanoi looks like the way to go otherwise we'd be in the north at the chilliest time of year.

#3 Posted: 23/8/2014 - 03:21

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

With such a tight schedule and so much distance to cover, allowing 2-3 weeks for Peninsula Malaysia seems weird. The roads are excellent and transport is fast, easy and comfortable so it doesn't take long to get from one end to the other. Others will no doubt disagree but I find Peninsula Malaysia rather bland and boring and the accommodation tends to be overpriced for what you get. Personally I'd skip Malaysia altogether (except for changing planes) if I was time strapped, but if you still want to go I'd suggest cutting down on your time there and using the extra days for countries with bigger distances to cover and slower transport.

#4 Posted: 23/8/2014 - 03:44

• Tazzfalcon

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008

Maybe you're right SBE, 2-3 weeks is a bit much for peninsula Malaysia. We pretty much want to see KL, Penang and Taman Negara, and possibly the Malaysian Grand Prix! Of course we're open to other suggestions as well.

How much more expensive are Myanmar and Malaysia in general terms?

#5 Posted: 23/8/2014 - 04:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.