Southeast Asia forum

5 months Thailand Laos Cambodia Vietnam and....

• DicoR

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2014

Morning folks

An itinerary post.....again..... I know its not very original but I would like to call upon your expertise!

My girlfriend and I recently booked our flight to Bangkok departing on the 11th of january. We're planning to travel for 5 months(changeable) and visit Thailand(northern part), Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam and return from Bangkok as well. Our budget, per person, is around €1000 per month from the moment we arive, which is oke right? We are not bound to a schedule or anything and trying to travel by public transport as much as possible. This is our first time backpacking through south east Asia and we are looking to enjoy the landscapes, beaches, culture (train some muay thai) and everything that comes with it. Even though I dont want to plan every step of the way, I still have a rough idea about the itinerary:

Thailand
    Bangkok
    Ayutthaya
    Chiang Mai
    Chiang rai
    Pai
    ........?

(Myanmar??)

North Laos
    Vang Vieng
    Luang Prabang
    Vientiane
    Southern Laos?

Vietnam N-->S
    Hanoi
    Ha Long Bay
    Hue
    Hoi An
    HCM
    Mekong delta?

Cambodia
    Phnom Pen
    Bamboo Island, Snake island and/or Koh Rong
    Angkhor Wat
    (Fly back to Bangkok in order to get another 30 day visa to visit the southern part, not sure on this one)

We want to spend less time in the big cities, and spend more time at the places we really like, so this route is just a rough sketch.

I know its not very original, we are hoping to get some nice ideas and advice during the trip or one of you could name some nice spots (landscapes, beaches, villages or anything you can come up with that is worth the visit). Because I know 5 months is long enough to visit these places. So my first question is, if one of you guys/girls can add (or discourage) ANYTHING to/from this itinerary?

My second question is: Is it a strange idea to reverse this trip? Taking the weather/seasons into account during the time we travel(January till June) and also the fact that Cambodia and Vietnam will offer us the beaches and islands.

Third questions: Is Laos and especially the places I mentioned, really worth the visit? Knowing we just visited Thailand and to me it seems pretty the same... Or should we visit Myanmar or southern China instead?

I hope you guys/girls can make some time to help us out, really appriciate it!

Cheers,

Dico

#1 Posted: 28/8/2014 - 11:11

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Dico,

You've got plenty of time, and you've got plenty of money, so you're starting from a pretty good position!

I can't speak as to whether you should go to Laos as well as Thailand (never been to Laos myself) but I can recommend Myanmar - it's a very different experience to Thailand, as much less developed.

With respect to which direction you do your loop, I think your initial plan looks more sensible than the reverse. Assuming your timing works out as roughly:
    mid Jan - North Thailand
    mid Feb - Myanmar
    mid Mar - Laos
    early April - Vietnam
    early May - Cambodia
    late May - Thai islands
    From a weather perspective, April is the hottest and dustiest month in Cambodia and Laos, so it seems to make sense to spend a lot of that month moving down the coast of Vietnam. By the time you get to Cambodia, the rains will hopefully be starting, bringing a little relief from the heat (and not enough rain yet to wash out roads) - although if you want to spend a lot of time on the Cambodian islands doing beaches, the weather could be a bit of an issue. But the weather will be good on the East coast of Thailand in late May/June, so you could get your beach fix in the last leg of the trip.

Hope that helps a little!

#2 Posted: 29/8/2014 - 01:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia - 3 months ... By rossco on 25 Jul 2011 0 2943 25 Jul 2011
2 months in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam AND Indonesia ... By mar571 on 9 Nov 2010 15 9557 25 Nov 2010
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia 3 Months - Starting October 10 ... By chatz on 29 Aug 2009 15 5079 21 Jun 2010
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia in 2 months for a solo female traveler ... By linalfonso on 27 Mar 2012 14 5004 11 Oct 2012
2 months to cover thailand, laos, cambodia and vietnam. Firsttime travellers!! ... By shuggy2985 on 17 Jan 2011 2 3801 18 Jan 2011
Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Malaysia- 3 1/2 months...NEED HELP With a guidline Route?????!! ... By kgroarke on 12 Feb 2011 3 5604 1 Mar 2011
June start 3/4 months Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore- Help please!! ... By JayeAC on 15 May 2013 7 2549 6 Mar 2014
24/m Travelling Vietnam->Cambodia->Laos->Thailand for two months from March 15th (by motorbike?!) ... By Criggy on 22 Feb 2012 4 1759 9 Mar 2012
Thailand, laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Bali - 6 months (Jan 2014) Advice needed ... By lewism05 on 15 May 2013 5 3398 21 Oct 2013
Thailand, cambodia laos 2-3 months ... By ashley23 on 26 May 2012 3 2147 28 May 2012